• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anniversary Dinner

8Track

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks 8Track, for that great review. I'm glad you had a nice time. Looking forward to seeing you on a more "regular" basis, i.e. less than 5.5 years. And congratulations on your 6th Anniversary! As dbortnick mentioned, we're about to make our seasonal switch from the fall menu to the winter menu, so come back soon to check it out.

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar

Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar

• 1 month later...

La Perla was mentioned abut halfway down this thread. My wife and I passed it this evening and it really does look quite interesting. Handsome, definitely upscale and quite impressive in a corner building at 2600 Pennsylvania Avenue. Yet there's no mention of it in the Post, Zagat or Chowhound. All I can find out is that it's Northern Italian and opened in the Fall of 2002. I don't believe it's received a major review. Does anyone know anything about it?

La Perla was mentioned abut halfway down this thread.  My wife and I passed it this evening and it really does look quite interesting.  Handsome, definitely upscale and quite impressive in a corner building at 2600 Pennsylvania Avenue.  Yet there's no mention of it in the Post, Zagat or Chowhound.  All I can find out is that it's Northern Italian and opened in the Fall of 2002.  I don't believe it's received a major review.  Does anyone know anything about it?

La Perla opened last year. It is one block from my house, so I was interested since our friendly neighborhood resto Donatello crashed and burned. The chef/owner is Vittorio Testa, whose last big DC restaurant was called Da Vinci at the Georgetown "Harbour". The intererior is quite faux lavish. Tom Sietsema mentioned that it reminded him of Las Vegas. When they opened, their hours were noon to midnight, straight through. Now, most days they are dark and closed by 10:30. One meal there did not encourage me to return.

Edited by Mark Sommelier (log)

Mark

That's disappointing. I suspected because of the lack of publicity that it may be like that. Still, the restaurant itself has a great deal of presence. My guess is that a future tenant, with the right chef, could really have something special.