• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ eGullet Chinese New Year Dinner at China 46

Kim WB

There isn't. While I like the whole fish at C46, we've ordered them at both of the past two dinners and they were the most leftovered item (besides the beef tendons and sea cucumber). Instead we're having the fried tofu skin wrapped pieces of flounder.

yes, i recall the Mississippi mud fish not going over very well at my table. the other table seemed to enjoy theirs though. :unsure:

Rachel, I'm not sure if I could make it or not, but if the waiting list isn't bursting at the seams, why not add me, and if there's room for me and I can go, I'll see about getting a ride at that point.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 2 weeks later...
Guest johnh91011

To move the time at this late date might be unfair to a lot of people. Quite a few of us already have planned around this event

Edited by johnh91011 (log)

I wouldn't be able to alter my schedule, and that would impact those to whom I've promised rides.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Then its damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead, people. See you all at 5:15 at C46.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

If it should snow earlier than planned, and if those who are coming from a distance have a problem, I can provide a haven for the night. I am at Exit 148 on the GSP, and would gladly have anyone, who might be concerned, stay over.

I see, by the current weather report, that they might be adjusting their forecast, but the offer stands.

Toothbrushes can be provided, but you have to bring your own PJs!!

See you all tomorrow!!

Hao Chi!!

Guest johnh91011

Thanks to Rachel, Jason, Rosie and Kim for the spectacular dinner. The food was over the top. Jason and I are still in nirvana.

John

To all the menu planners, the list keepers, the $$ handlers, the weather watchers, and to those in the kitchen --- I want to say THANK YOU!!

How nice to share such good food with those who enjoy exceptional eating experiences. ---- AND ---it was!

Indeed a memorable night!

I've been back for a couple of hours now, and am in the process of converting my computer to Windows XP. (Well, we'll see how it goes at any rate. Windows XP = Winblows XP but gotta keep up with the times seeing as how I'm running on Windows 98 Second Edition.) Anyway, kudos to Rachel for putting together this extravaganza.

Had to leave early due to El Gordo driving Ya-Roo and I back to New Jersey, which was ok cuz I was approaching my limit even pacing myself.

For all y'all wine trackers out there, I had a glass and a half of various rieslings. Definitely near my wine record, not close, but near. Ask Suzanne F to explain. :biggrin:

My favorite dish of the evening? Not the ruby pork, which came a distant third, but the superior seafood soup. Clear, pristine flavor accented by shreds of crabmeat and water chestnut. Stuffed blue crab came second. The combination of crab, shrimp and crab roe was just this side of amazing. As for the ruby pork, it was all right -- just a bit heavy for me at that point and I could have done without all that sauce.

I'm already looking forward to the next visit.

Soba

Sorry I didn't see you, Stan, and I'm glad you were able to make it.

It was a really fun occasion, topped off by a much longer Lion Dance than I expected.

My favorite dish was probably the Long Life Noodles. It's quite uncommon to get noodles that are al dente in a Chinese restaurant, and that was the extra touch to a tasty dish. The soup dumplings were probably the best I've had, and the jiaozi were excellent. I won't go on and comment on every dish, but I thought it was a well-constructed banquet with alternating savory and subtle dishes. The seafood soup Soba mentioned was an excellent palate cleanser and I share his high opinion of it.

I also noticed the dishes other parties were having. They all looked good and smelled good. China 46 is clearly a very good Chinese restaurant, and I will mention it to my cousins in Teaneck.

But I think the thing that was most fun was making the trip and meeting some people I knew only from their posts. I won't name names, but you know who you are, and I'll see you online and probably at other gatherings.

Michael aka "Pan"

i2478.jpg

I don't know why Fat Guy took this picture, but it seems appropriate as a starter for this pictorial.

i2490.jpg

Howard88 and several others having a good time

i2491.jpg

More happy people

i2459.jpg

Spicy Capsicum Cellophane Noodles

i2460.jpg

Soup Dumplings

i2461.jpg

Chive Box Dumplings, Interior View

i2462.jpg

Chive Box Dumplings, Exterior View

i2463.jpg

Jiaozi Dumplings, Exterior View

i2464.jpg

Jiaozi Dumplings, Interior View

i2465.jpg

Sticky Rice Stuffed Chicken

i2466.jpg

Sticky Rice Stuffed Chicken, Plated

i2467.jpg

Stuffed Crab, Shell View

i2468.jpg

Stuffed Crab, Stuffing View

i2473.jpg

Peking Duck Exhibit A

i2474.jpg

Peking Duck Exhibit B

i2477.jpg

Peking Duck Exhibit C

i2493.jpg

Peking Duck Exhibit D

i2495.jpg

Peking Duck Exhibit E

i2494.jpg

Peking Duck Exhibit F

i2479.jpg

Tofu Skin Wrapped Flounder

i2480.jpg

Tofu Skin Wrapped Flounder Closeup

i2481.jpg

You want Fuki Plum?

i2484.jpg

Sauteed Rice Cake with Fresh Bamboo and Pork

i2485.jpg

Ruby Pork

i2486.jpg

Sesame Buns, for stuffing Ruby Pork into

i2487.jpg

Sauteed Baby Shrimps with Chinese Ham, Fresh Shitakke and Fresh Bamboo

i2488.jpg

Superior Seafood Soup

i2489.jpg

Superior Seafood Soup Portion

i2469.jpg

i2470.jpg

i2471.jpg

i2472.jpg

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Ok - Andrew and I are all the way back in Philadelphia and I don't see any photos yet! Sheesh! Bunch of slackers with the camera, eh?!? :biggrin:

My sincere thanks to all of our intrepid organizers. It was a fantastic feast and ever so much fun to hobnob with the other eGulleteers, some of whom I'd had the pleasure of meeting before and several of whom I hadn't. What a blast! And Soba - you were sitting right across from me all evening and we were never formally introduced! What a shame. I enjoyed all of the company at our table, all of the wondrous food and all of the wine. Most particularly enjoyed the wonderful conversation. Truly a great evening.

Foodwise - I can't even decide what I liked best. The soup dumplings and the stuffed chicken were amazing. I'd never had the Ruby Pork dish before and it was very interesting. I particulalry enjoyed the sesame "pocket bread" to stuff it into. The soup had amazing laser clear flavors. I really liked the tofu wrapped fish too. Too many wonderful dishes to describe. Great stuff.

Andrew and I said it was well worth the 1.75 hour drive from Philly for China 46. The rest was just priceless.

Thanks!!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Jason - you dog! Posted the pictures as I was typing my post! Just to make me look bad... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

It was great fun- both the wonderful food and the company- and as Katie said, I'd happily make the drive any time. Many thanks to the organizers for a lovely evening.

As to my favorite dish, I'll take a possibly contrarian position and vote for the flounder in tofu skins. Simple, succulent and juicy; and really like nothing I've ever had. Delightful.

Now it's time to go digest...

Loved the pictures, which are more meaningful because I can remember all the dishes.

Rachel, Rosie, and Kim deserve a lot of credit for organizing such a large party. Thank you!

Michael aka "Pan"

Cecil may have called it a "Lion Dance" but it looked and acted like a giant Maltese (dog) in Chinese costume, but in a good way -- really cute and the Chinese-school kids did a great job and earned their little red envelopes.

I loved the Shrimp with Three Treasures and the Crisp Tofu-skin wrapped Flounder, both of which were new to me.

This party was a blast, thanks to all who came!