• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle seafood at the bar

I will shortly be spending 40 hours or so in Seattle. Chances are good, but not certain, that I'll have one evening to kill while I'm there. I'd like to do so in the presence of a seafood meal that I wouldn't find back here on the east coast. I'm looking for Dungeness crab, local oysters, geoduck (is it in season?), coho, or maybe a nice piece of halibut. Simple preparations are fine, but the seafood should be fresh and of high quality. I'll be stopping in at the last minute, solo, so I'd prefer a place where I can get the full menu at the bar. So where should I go? Downtown, belltown, or pike place would be my preferred neighborhoods.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I'd recommend Elliott's Oyster House on the waterfront. They have a great oyster bar and are likely to have any local seafood that is in season and fresh.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

When I was in Seattle a few years ago, I really liked Etta's. I'm sure it's considered touristy by the locals, but I had a good time, the seafood was very fresh, and Tom Douglas is a very good chef. I don't know if they have a bar, or if the menu is available there in any case, but I walked in and was seated immediately -- not unusual for a lone diner, in my experience. It's one block from Pike's Market.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I'd recommend Elliott's Oyster House on the waterfront. They have a great oyster bar and are likely to have any local seafood that is in season and fresh.

Ooh. I went there, too. It was also very good: spotted prawns, which as far as I know, you can't get anywhere else, and some great mussels.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I would also recommend the Brooklyn for oysters at the bar. It's downtown at 2nd and University. As with Elliott's, Brooklyn has a great variety of oysters, good bartenders, and good service.

I think the best place to try geoduck might be at a sushi bar.

And perhaps Maximilien in the Market for mussels. Very cool place with a fantastic view.

http://www.maximilienrestaurant.com/index2.html

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Not in your preferred locations, but Ray's Boathouse is almost famous.

Me, I'd head to Matt's in the Market - but the fresh fish of the day might not fit your bill - they shop at the Pike Place Market for what's best (and reasonable.)

Flying Fish does oysters (not alot of varieties, as I recall), and is famous for fish. (Belltown)

Thanks, all. I've been to Elliot's and Ray's before, but not in several years. I was considering Etta's, but it sounds like Elliot's is still the place for me. I seem to recall that last time I was there the menu listed the name of the fishermen who caught the day's fish.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

I loved Ray's Boathouse before it burned down, only been back once since and it was disappoiting. Anyone remember Ray's Downtown, what a disaster. I have had a great time at Shuckers on many occaisions, always thought thier oysters were the best and freshest. Their cooked dishes fall a little short of perfect. The smoked oysters though are brilliant. I also find the room cool in an old school way.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I know it's not in your preferred neighborhood - but Seastar in Bellevue is a pretty restaurant with a wonderful raw seafood bar (that is probably a bit of an understatement - the chefs can do more than simply serving unadorned seafood). We were in Bellevue last year and enjoyed it so much we ate there twice.

The following restaurants have bar seating with full menus and fresh seafood: Shuckers (wonderfully fresh cooked whole Dungeness), Waterfront (a knockout Dungeness salad ), and the Dahlia Lounge (Tom Douglas owns this and Etta's, which does have more seafood choices but is older and has less ambiance, if that's a factor). Elliot's is very popular with out-of-towners, possibly because it seems to be the seafood restaurant most recommended by hotel concierges.

I ended up at Elliot's, after a harrowing walk down the hill on Seneca St. in the midst of a sleet storm. When I got there, I went straight for the oyster bar, which is probably the best place for a single diner. Mike the oyster shucker was ready and willing to explain all there was to know about species, cultivation techniques, and terrior. Around fifteen varieties were offered, of which I sampled six or seven. They ranged from the tiny quarter-sized olympics up to a couple of monster pacific varieties. I had the Maryhill Sauvignon with the oyster course. One thing I found unusual is that the mignionette is served frozen--it's a sort of red wine vinegar and shallot sorbet. Mike said that when it is served in the traditional liquid form, too many people overuse it and destroy the subtle flavors of the oyster. I know the problem he is describing, but my solution is usually to skim a few shallots off the top and season the oyster with them, rather than pouring the sauce. I'm not convinced the frozen technique is optimal.

After the oysters, it was on to half a Dungeness crab, served cold with three dipping sauces. I particularly liked the spicy mayo. I was warned that there was some work involved in extracting the meat, but compared to blue crabs, it was no problem at all. The flavor of hte crab was excellent, and if the texture had been just a bit firmer, it would have been perfect.

About halfway through the crab, an alder-planked filet of king salmon and a glass of King's Ridge Pinot Noir arrived. I was expecting these, although there had clearly been some miscommunication in the kitchen which resulted in the fish being fired way too early. To my servers credit, he realized there was a problem before he even set the plate down and offered to return the fish to the kitchen.

After an appropriate amount of time, a new piece of fish was delivered. They serve their salmon three different ways. I chose the alder planked, which is convection roasted atop a plank of alder wood. It was rich and smooth in both color and flavor, with a nice crisply sealed surface. A really excellent example of what a good piece of salmon can be.

I finished with a perfectly acceptable creme brulee from a desert card that was long on tradition. I also had a tawny port.

I guess I'm a certified Seattle tourist now, since in addition to eating at Elliot's, I carried an umbrella when it was raining, and walked across a empty street against a light, which got me a chorus of dirty looks from the pedestrians patiently waiting on the other side. Luckily there was no cop around to give me a ticket. I always forget about that when I go to Seattle.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

... I carried an umbrella when it was raining, and walked across a empty street against a light, which got me a chorus of dirty looks from the pedestrians patiently waiting on the other side. Luckily there was no cop around to give me a ticket. I always forget about that when I go to Seattle.

:laugh:

Don't ever carry an umbie in Seattle! All of the best people know that! :biggrin:

Your lovely post got me homesick again. Luckily I have got a tip from a guest the other day that provided me with one of his Continental Air, positive space blank tickets. I may spend a few days this December reliving "tourist" in the Pacific Northwet, enjoying the holiday decorations, shopping and dining. Rain, sleet or shine.