• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Square.

If you search for The Square on egullet you'll come up with quite a few references, but here's on to start you off: click.

I've eaten at The Square 3 times, twice for dinner (both times as a guest of the house) and once for lunch (which I paid for). Both dinners were multi- course affairs and the kitchen was really showing off, so my view of the place could well be distorted. There is a report of the first of those dinners here. The lunch was far more simple, but no less enjoyable.

All I would say is that the memory of the food, wine and service I experienced at The Square has grown such that very few places manage to live up to it. Philip Howard is one of the few British chefs whose food is individual, intelligent and confident enough to make him an absolute must try in London.

His pasta dishes (anything with hand rolled macaroni, gnocchi and especially the crab lasagne), foie gras, lamb and hare signature dishes are all superb, as is the yoghurt and donuts pre-dessert. Sweet souffles and tatins are also outstanding. Thinking about all this makes me want to rush back very soon.

I haven't been to the Square in awhile and would be keen for a return match. Perhaps we could contact Philip Howard and challenge him to do his best for a group of eGulleteers. They have a very pleasant private room, but it's large and I am guessing they would need at least ten diners to book it.

Edited by Jonathan Day (log)

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

Sounds bizarre to worry about this in mid-November -- but it's really only a few weeks until holiday madness hits, restaurants fill up, and the last thing many of us want is another big dinner, no matter how well executed.

Shall we try to visit the Square before the year is out, or wait until January? What say you?

Jonathan Day

I think if we go for ten, we'll probably have to wait until mid-late Jan. Time to gather the troups, make arrangements, etc.

But a smaller group could always do a commando raid.

I'm on for either.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

That sounds like as good a date as any.

The private room holds up to 15 people but it will accomodate as few as 8. There is a table for 8 in the main dining room which I think would be preferable if we are that few in number as its a really nice, buzzy space. And I agree with Vengroff that the cheese trolley is an absolute must. We would also want to make best possible use of the wine list which has got to be one of the best in the city.

I'd be up for Jan. The Square has been on my mean-to-visit-but-can't-be-arsed-to-arrange it places for a while.

Note than Jan is a good time to book - as I am forever saying Jan and Aug are the slow months for restaurants where you can get reservations at unbookable restaurants with remarkable ease.

23rd looks reasonable

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

23rd would be fine for me and Melissa.

I would continue to advocate the private room, especially if we get at least 10 people. The main dining room is buzzy but it can get noisy.

Jonathan Day

If we get 10 people it will have to be the private room! The Chez Bruce do with 14 of us was terrific, but there was enough of us to create our own buzz. With 8, I'm a little concerned that a private room may lack atmosphere. However, I am easily persauded! And we have 6 people already expressing an interest.

Andy

Balex

John T

BLHiggins

Jonathan Day

Melissa

Moby

Kate (Mrs P)

Circeplum

tarka

Jack

= 11

Andy - what say you as to total numbers?

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Well, the private room caters for up to 16, but the picture on the website of the table set for 15 looks quite cramped. I think we ought to put a lid on it at 14. But have a look and see what you think.

We need to decide lunch or dinner, a la carte or tasting menu and what sort of budget we want to set. I will then do my best to liaise with the restaurant and Phil Howard to see if we can get something a bit special, but although I have met the chef on several occasions, I do not have a strong connection with the Square so we will have to see how it goes.