• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tortilla Shaper/Baker

ruthcooks

My daughter keeps getting deeper into Mexican cooking, and I would like to buy her an electric tortilla maker for Christmas. The kind that also flattens the dough would be nice. Anyone have one? Brand name, please, if it works for you.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I live in San Antonio, pretty much the epicenter of Mexican cooking, and have never heard of an electric tortilla cooker. There are tortilla presses all over the place and I don't know of even the most straunch traditionalist of Mexican cookery who doesn't have one. ....and use it.

A tortilla cooker is a skillet or griddle.

Blake

Other than the big complex machines that crank out hundreds of tortillas at a factory, I don't know of a tortilla "machine". And even those are just automated presses. The stacks of tortillas aren't cooked until just before you eat them and that is done on a comal (like a round griddle you put over the fire), griddle or (in my case) a hot cast iron skillet. Tortilla presses are just simple plates that you manually use to smash the masa flat prior to putting on the griddle. Of course, the traditional handmade ones are done by hand, pattting them from hand to hand... an art that I have never mastered and a wonder to watch.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I've never seen an electric one either... however, I do have a "manual" :biggrin: tortilla press that I happen to use all the time. I would try and find a manual one at a local ethnic market (depending on where you live, your selection could be great or scarce) you should have good luck there. Of course you can always just hit Mexico if you live close enough... I got mine in Tijuana. :smile:

Thanks for finding that AuntieEm. You learn something new every day. However, I am really suspicious about how the tortillas would turn out. The whole thing about a tortilla is that is made, sits around for at least a few minutes to get a dry surface, then is put on a scorching hot comal. That is what makes the unique texture and the brown spots on the uneven surface of the tortilla. I can't imagine one of these things coming even close in final taste and texture.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Thanks, smogle. I was guessing but you have confirmed what I was thinking.

And... Welcome to eGullet.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Upon my return to MD from San Antonio, I was given one of these by my in-laws, who also keep us in supply of White Swan mix. While the device does a reasonably good job, it is no substitute for a press and a comal. It is basically a teflon coated waffle iron without the waffly bits. Because it is hinged AND heated, it tends to make tortillas that look like small ramps, squishing the dough to on side. The quick release of steam makes some funny farty sounds though.

Ruth, Unless she's cooking for alot of people, and she's serious about true

Mexican cooking, with great flavor, I would only do them by hand. No 2 tortillas

are alike, like snowflakes. I make mine, and would be happy to share the

recipe and technique! Maybe we should do a cooking demonstration! I'll look up

a recipe for you and post it in the next few days. My husband is Mexican, and his

mom's cooking is unparalled.

Ruth, Unless she's cooking for alot of people, and she's serious about true

Mexican cooking, with great flavor, I would only do them by hand. No 2 tortillas

are alike, like snowflakes. I make mine, and would be happy to share the

recipe and technique! Maybe we should do a cooking demonstration! I'll look up

a recipe for you and post it in the next few days. My husband is Mexican, and his

mom's cooking is unparalled.

Jat, this is something that would generate a fair amount of interest, I think. Perhaps you might consider taking a bunch of pictures and writing something up for an eGCI class?

--