• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weekend in Austin

SeattleGrrl

My bf and I are driving from New Orleans to Austin on Fri to see Bobby Bare Jr. at the Mercury. We're staying at the Austin Motel (unless we get lucky with the waitlist at San Jose.) We're hoping for a full-scale food and drink blowout (within monetary reason.)

I saw the big Austin thread below, but that's a lot of info for a non-local. Can y'all offer some rec's for my first time in Texas? I'd like to check out some good Tex-Mex.

Also, is there anything interesting we should check out on I-10W or TX-71?

Thanks,

Jenaya

For good, authentic Tex-Mex, there are numerous options and you'll probably get differing opinions. For the record, here are mine:

1. Angie's on East 7th street, just off of I-35 is right downtown and about as authentic as you can get. Incredible homemade corn tortillas - thick and soft. Tacos are made with these so the shells are crispy on the outside but still soft and tender on the inside. The atmosphere isn't incredible, it's a converted home with a hand painted mural of the city on the wall. Angie and her family serve you. Salsa is spicy and flavorful, but the chips aren't made in house.

2. Las Manitas, aka "Avenue Cafe" is on Congress Avenue and 2nd Street on the east side of the road. They have incredible refried beans, made with bacon fat. Good enchiladas and interesting specials. Bagged chips but again, good homemade salsa.

3. For a more popular restaurant, try one of the Trudy's restaurants in town. Excellent queso (I like the especial, with a dollop of guacamole right in the bottom), good red and green sauce, good chips, and great enchiladas. The "Texas Star" location is closest to where you'll be staying, and has the best atmosphere right on campus.

4. For the most popular, but least authentic (while still very tasty) restaurant, you can try Chuy's. There's a downtown location on Barton Springs Blvd (the one where the Bush girls got caught drinking underage). They have good homemade chips, good salsas (order the Creamy Jalapeno for dipping - they'll bring it with your chips if you ask), and more mainstream dishes. Although it's less authentic, I still recommend this restaurant, especially if you're not experienced with Tex-Mex.

As far as fine dining, there are a number of choices. What kind of experience do you desire? Also, what sort of cuisine? And finally, on budget, what do you mean by "within reason", as far as budget per couple?

-Mark

Thanks for the Tex-Mex tips, Mark.

Northern Italian might be nice, and we like Spanish food as well. When I lived in Seattle, words like "vibrant" and "eclectic" were the kiss of death, but after a couple months in New Orleans, I'm dying for exactly that. The term New American comes to mind. Fish besides the craw and cat varieties would be nice, and Boy always goes for duck.

I wish I culd be more specific, but my brain is clogged with roux.

I don't want to spend more than around $100 for dinner (before tip).

I appreciate any suggestions.

Jenaya

Edited by SeattleGrrl (log)

Hey, no problem. Here are some ideas that should suit your tastes and your pocketbook.

1. Siena (http://www.sienarestaurant.com/) has an interesting menu and is somewhat northern Italian. There is a menu online which may be different than what you'll get when you're there. I have yet to go, but I've heard some good things. This is really close to my house, too, so I'm lame for not going yet.

2. Zoot (http://www.zootdining.com/) is a solid "new American" dining experience just west of downtown, and their other restaurant Wink (http://www.winkrestaurant.com/) is another solid choice. Both links include sample menus.

3. Castle Hill Cafe (http://www.castlehillcafe.com/), located just west of downtown on 5th Street combines Southwestern and eclectic fare. This restaurant has been around for a long time in Austin and rarely is poorly reviewed. I've always been pleased with my meal here. They also have a sister restaurant in northwest Austin, Mirabelle, which has recently received higher accolades than the main restaurant.

4. If you're feeling adventurous, Hudson's on the Bend (http://hudsons.citysearch.com/)specializes in game with an emphasis on their famous sauces. They're a little ways out of town, so you'd be looking at a 30 minute drive out towards Lake Travis for this one.

We have a number of high-end chain restaurants in Austin, which I would encourage you to miss - not because the food is sub-par, but because you'd miss out on a unique-to-Austin dining experience. These include Fleming's Steakhouse, Sullivan's Steakhouse, Roy's, and even Kenichi, an upscale sushi bar which is only the second of its kind (original is in Aspen, Colorado), but supposedly with plans to expand. I would probably shy away from seafood, as we're a good distance from the sea, but if you insist, Eddie V'd Edgewater Grill is an Austin original with two locations. They fly their seafood in daily.

Depending on your schedule, if I was only going to be able to do one nice dinner and two Tex-Mex lunches (or other meals), I'd probably hit Castle Hill for dinner, Angie's for lunch, and Trudy's for a meal when I want a drink as well. Trudy's serves excellent margaritas, and their specialty "Mexican Martini", a top shelf margarita served with a shaker and a martini glass, is excellent. I usually get mine with Herradura Silver and Grand Marnier, but they'll leave that choice up to you.

If you're out and about before/after the show and make your way down to 4th street, Malaga is a tapas bar where you could pick up a few Spanish morsels.

Best luck, hope this helps. You'll have to be sure to let us know how it went.

-Mark

Best Italian in town is Vespaio on South Congress. Get there at 5:30, or be prepared to wait for a table. They don't take reservations. Ask to sit in Aaron's section. Awesome service! I lived in Milan for 3 years. Vespaio comes the closest to northern Italian...we just don't have a lot of that down here.

Also on South Congress is Guero's. Nice Tex-Mex. Bill Clinton ate here and has the #1 dinner named for him. Lots of atmosphere. Lots of people, though and noisy. Next to the Continental Club on South Congress is the Texas Music Cafe. Open REALLY late! Great tapas-style food and a complete menu at all hours, including breakfast. I had a wonderful chicken-fried steak there one time. The chef used to work out at Hudson's on the Bend.

If you want to stay around downtown and get the best "Austin" feeling;

Tex-Mex:

Cisco's

Angie's

Las Manitas

Chuy's

Trudy's South

Curra's

Hamburger joint:

Hut's

Dirty's

Sandy's

BBQ:

Artz Rib House

John Mueller's

Iron Works

Sam's

Home style:

Hoover's

Threadgill's

Hill's Cafe

Finer dining:

Jeffery's

Chez Nous

Castle Hill

Paggi House

Aquarelle

Jean-Luc's Bistro

Vespaio

Vegetarian:

West Lynn Cafe

If I were a tourist and if I were to pick several places to eat for the first time:

Chuy's, Barton Springs - Austin version of a kitchy Tex-Mex, you'll love it.

John Mueller's - might as well eat the real thing

Hut's - "Austintatious"

Castle Hill - Southwestern menu

Jeffery's - President Bush's favorite Austin eatery

Threadgill's - you can learn a lot about Austin here

West Lynn Cafe - heart of West 5th area and Clarksville

There are many more of course... you'll need to bar-hop and walk these areas, all easily done:

Start at E. 6th Street and Congress Avenue, walk east to Red River, turn around and walk back on 6th to Congress, on the other side of the street. Turn south, left, and walk down Congress to 4th Street, turn west, right, and you'll be in the Warehouse district, tons of Austinites out on the town. Later go to MLK (19th) and Guadalupe and walk the "Drag" up to 24th. This is the University of Texas.

I want to second Vespaio -- great great food, but I've only been a few times and never thought it was very rustic (maybe I'm a novice on Northern Italian food or just not ordered the right things.) It's terrific regardless.

But, and not to be too critical or overly harsh, I'ld stay far far away from both Guero's and Chuy's. They're both well known and seem to have crowds, but Guero's is some of the worst tex-mex food I've ever had (yes, Bill Clinton ate there but has anyone ever confused him with a discriminating eater?) and Chuy's is just a chain restaurant (watered down and neutral as you'ld expect one to be.) Same really goes for Trudy's, which isn't anything special and feels like a chain with the food to match.

I'll also second Las Manitas for lunch -- not tex-mex as much as a variation on interior mexican. If you want authentic mexican food and want to spend a little more, try Fonda San Miguel, but I'll add one warning -- they have some terrific items on the menu and some horrible, yes, horrible items (beginning with the tortilla soup.) For greasy tex-mex (which is the only authentic kind) I like Jaime's on Red River.

FYI: Stubbs BBQ is great and just across the street from Jaime's. I'ld choose Stubbs over Ironworks, which I think is vastly overated (I'm not much on vinegary sauce.)

If you want old, historic, upscale dining, go to Green Pastures, but they host several events on the weekend and may not have availability.

I saw Aquarelle mentioned and I can't recommend it. There are much much better fine dining options than Aquarelle -- namely Jeffreys (which is the one upscale place you should go -- assuming Green Pastures is closed.)

Hoover's is great for soul food and Threadgill's is pretty good for a chain type homestyle place.

I like Eddie V's too, but it's a chain (small chain, from the owners of ZTejas (another good chain)) and the idea of fish being "flown in daily" to Austin is a joke -- maybe the special, but everything else in Austin is frozen (which is a good thing) including the fish at Eddie V's. Stay away from seafood while you're here -- it will never come close to what you get in New Orleans or Seattle.

Castle Hill is good, but I'ld go for lunch instead of dinner -- not worth the upscale price and terrible atmosphere for a nice restaurant, but great for lunch.

If you want a burger, you can't beat Hut's (Shady Grove is a decent backup, but it's just not Hut's.)

Edited by jbftx (log)

Just a quick note here, while I can respect jbftx's comments regarding Trudy's and Chuy's, I wanted to mention that they're both Austin based-chains. Trudy's is Austin-based with only 3 total locations, all within Austin. Chuy's was born at the Barton Springs location and has branched out of Austin since.

Jeffrey's is a good call, and I'm not sure why I didn't mention it. My wife and I went there the night I proposed to her, just over a year ago, and we have not had the chance to return. Maybe because I haven't had much experience with them, although I've had Cipollina (same owners, across the street) cater my parties and have eaten there for lunch frequently.

The comment regarding Castle Hill's atmosphere is also well taken - it looks like a funhouse inside with a drop ceiling. However, in some ways, I find that Austin-funky.

Again, good luck and enjoy your visit. Austin's a great town.

-edited to correct grammar-

Edited by markf424 (log)

Please do not go to CHUY's or Trudy's. You can do so much better.

Vespaio is an excellent choice and it is a stone's throw away from your hotel. Another good choice (and close to you too) is Lambert's, which is American, but very Austin.

For Tex Mex, I'd stick with Las Manitas or Curras or Ztejas and if you want to get some good, fast, breakfast tacos, you might try Maria's which is also very close to your hotel.

Stay away from Green Pastures at dinner time. That would be a lovely place to take your grandparents, but I don't think it's up your alley atmosphere-wise. The food is average.

Castle Hill is another good recommendation. Neat crowd, great service, good food and comfortable chairs.

Edited by claire797 (log)

I've got to say that I still don't see the charm of Las Manitas. I've always hated being served soda in a can with a plastic glass of ice on the side, and the food was just nothing spectacular. We went there when we first moved to Austin, and my vote for breakfast (and not only that) still has to go to Magnolia Cafe. I think the only decent thing I had at Las Manitas was the refried beans, though I had to steal some of Luggage's, since what I ordered didn't come with. I also HATE places that charge you an extra buck for a tablespoon of sour cream... :sad: I don't know... maybe it was just a really bad experience, but I couldn't find much on the menu that appealed to me, the service was appalling, the atmosphere way too noisy and frenetic, and at least that morning, the coffee sucked.

Magnolia Cafe was yummy all 'round and is unfailingly friendly and VERY Austin...

I also second someone's mention of Mirabelle; we went there a few weeks ago and were extremely pleased. I want the veal on our next trip, but Luggage has already cast a vote for the duck...

Some folks have mentioned Stubbs, too--I've never been there for dinner, but unless the novelty aspect of the gospel brunch is enough for you, don't do the brunch because you'll just wind up with a plate of cold food... Then again, we had an out-of-town guest a couple months ago, and he loved the brunch-- think more for the atmosphere than the food.

An odd alien wench

I second both Magnolia Cafe (everything there is good, but the gingerbread pancakes are to die for!), and Iron Works BBQ! And if you find yourself in need of a snack, Amy's Ice cream is as good as it gets. They even have an airport location, which is a great place to get that pre-flight sustenance.

I might as well wade in, too.

My suggestions:

BBQ - Sorry folks. I know this is highly personal, but. I'd only put Artz on my list for ribs, which is not what I'd do if I were visiting Austin. You can get pretty darn good pork ribs most anyplace in this great nation.

Come to Central Texas for the brisket. That's what we do well. Better than anybody. And Artz's isn't. And neither is Iron Works. And neither is Stubb's. And Mueller's is sometimes, but not always. It's been very inconsistant lately.

You've come a long way from New Orleans, Darlin'. So get in the car and drive the 30 miles south to Lockhart. Go to Smitty's or Black's and get their brisket. As far as brisket is concerned, compared to Lockhart and Luling, the Austin 'Cue joints suck.

For "homestyle cooking," and something really "Austin," go to Dot's place for lunch. Or Tony's Comfort Food on 6th.

Fonda San Miguel is also something you can't get in New Orleans. It's true Interior Mexican food, and one of the best such restaurants in the country. And VERY "Austin."

Vespaio is wonderful. Easily the best Italian in Austin. But can't you get good Italian in New Orleans? Don't you want to "do Austin" while you're IN Austin?

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

For "homestyle cooking," and something really "Austin," go to Dot's place for lunch.

I wish I could remember where to find Jaymes's original post about Dot's, and about Dot. I do remember that reading it, I wanted to jump the next plane to Austin.

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Uh, Jaymes...

They're tourists. Most of the restaurants mentioned are not the best in their catagories (Iron Works, Chuy's, etc.) - but that's the point: we Austinites go to these places in droves because they're fun and so very Austin. Like us going to Bourbon Street and the Quarter.

Jaymes is right about Dot's and Fonda San Miguel. Kinda funny to be talking about those two places in the same breath, yeah?

We're lucky that Dot's is all of 10 minutes away from us, and still, we've only been there once, though!

Still, you never know what weekenders are going to be in the mood for--the visitor we had a few months ago, the one who liked Stubb's and Threadgill's? Well, he was also excited about Krispy Kreme, which baffled the hell out of me, considering that he's from New York, and they sure have them there!

What I want right now is some creamed corn from Rudy's...

An odd alien wench

Uh, Jaymes...

They're tourists. Most of the restaurants mentioned are not the best in their catagories (Iron Works, Chuy's, etc.) - but that's the point: we Austinites go to these places in droves because they're fun and so very Austin. Like us going to Bourbon Street and the Quarter.

Iron Works sucks.

If you're a "tourist" in Austin, you should get into your rental car and drive down to Smitty's.

Although I agree about Chuy's and Threadgills. Great spots, both, for visitors.

I can think of no reason whatsoever to go to Iron Works. Unless you're staying right across the street. Oh wait. If you're staying right across the street, you're at the Four Seasons and you can easily afford to rent a car and DRIVE TO LOCKHART.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Jaymes,

Uh.... yeeeeeeeeeees. I agree on renting a car a going to Lockhart if you are a BBQ fanatic. I haven't be to Iron Works, San Miguel, Chuy's in years, literally. But, I'm not a tourist. Heck, might as well take that rental car to San Antonio...