• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Article on Finding Specific Wines in Stores

Schneier

Dara Moskowitz writes the weekly restaurant review column in The City Pages, the Minneapolis free weekly magazine.

This week's column is about why you can't find the wine you enjoyed at a restaurant at your local wine store.

Dara is a good writer, and this is a good essay.

Bruce

I think it's always good news when you can get what you want, where you want it, but it's not necessarily bad news that you can get something special at a restaurant that will heighten the pleasure of dining there. Dara's 1,3 and 4 reasons are just good reasons to go out to eat at a good restaurant and enjoy it. There's no point in crying over the fact that you can't get the same wine at home unless you've already managed to get the same food at home. If you can cook better than the restaurant can, well then I guess they need some gimmick to stay in business. Reason 2 is just a good reason to stay away from bad restaurants. Besides if the wine is bad, you don't want it at home, although if you're eating at those restaurants, it's possible you don't know the wine is bad and then there's a bigger problem than just not being able to get overprice bad wine at home. Reason 5, is common sense. The world's a large and largely uncontrollable place. The cure for illogical distribution of wine falls below the radar when I think of problems that need to be cured.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.