• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My gravy broke

Stone

I got a glop of whitish flourly stuff sitting beneath a pool of fat.  I think that I put in too much fat from the drippings after I made my roux.  Tried to add more flour, but it didn't help. 

Oh wel..

Can you give more detail as to how you made the gravy, step by step? It may be easier to understand where it went wrong.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

What Toliver said. I am having trouble understanding adding fat AFTER making the roux. :huh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Yeah, I should have poured off the fat from the turkey drippings. I wasnt' paying attention. I started with some corn oil and flour for the roux, added some diced onion, then poured in the turkey drippings. Very basic, it's always worked fine. I wasn't paying much attention, but I think there was probably a 1/2 cup of fat from the turkey that I poured in.

I think we have identified your problem.

Why would you make a roux with corn oil when you had some perfectly good turkey fat? :huh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

...there was probably a 1/2 cup of fat from the turkey that I poured in.

Ouch.

Get one of those fat-seperator things - looks like a measuring cup, but has a spout that pours from the bottom rather than the top.

I have a really cheap plastic one, no need to have a 'good' one, as I rarely use it, but it works well.

(Oh, and next time you have a 'broken' gravy, try superglue, that'll mend most anything. Or epoxy, but it wouldn't be the best choice in this case.)

Edit: Add silly postscript. Hit "Post" too fast. :sad:

Edited by Human Bean (log)

Also Stone,

Pull your sauce pot to one side of the burner,this will help the fats collect in one corner and make it easy to degrease your sauce as it simmers.

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.