• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recco needed for Philly

bushey

I'll be in Philly next Wednesday evening on a college interview trip with my 17 year old (foodie) daughter. We expect to get into town around 7:30 or so, depending on traffic, and we'll be meeting my cousin's daughter who's a junior at Penn. We'll be staying at the Windsor.

Never been to Philly, so I have no idea what would be convenient. Looking for a place with good food, not too loud, about $20/25 per head tax and tip inc.

Thanks!

bushey

There are great places

If you want to be in Univ city near Penn try

The White Dog

http://www.whitedog.com/

Penne

http://www.theinnatpenn.com/penne.html

Nan (382-0818, 4000 Chestnut)

Thai. Yum. BYOB.

Zocalo… more causal…

http://www.ucnet.com/zocalo/

Pod (387-1803, Sansom and 36th.)..very very hip...

a quote"The only restaurant in Philadelphia to make Wired magazine. Cool lighting and cool food. "

http://www.podrestaurant.citysearch.com/

La Terrasse (386-5000, 3432 Sansom St.)

French. Casual but elegant dining room terraces offer interesting French/American fare. A more relaxed atmosphere can be found in bar & café.

Cuisine: French, Continental, American

Address: 3432 Sansom Street

Philadelphia, PA 19104

Cross Street: Between 34th and 36th Streets

University City

Phone Number: (215) 386-5000

* Rx (222-9590, 4443 Spruce St)

Relaxed, yet very nice atmosphere. Excellent food, almost as good as Salt. Best thing to happen to West Philadelphia in a long time. BYOB.

While I don’t agree with every word…this is a very helpful list of restaurants with comments

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~ungar/restaurants.html

If you want to have a “real” philly experience and eat Philly cheesesteaks….go to either Pat’s or Geno’s…they are across the road from each other…of course you will eat standing up ….outside…. year round…under cover and with heaters if needed

http://www.patskingofsteaks.com/

http://www.genosteaks.com/

GENO'S STEAKS

9th and Passyunk South Philly

The best are at Geno's. Maybe its because they stay open so late. After a night of boozing nothing tastes better than a Geno's provolone and onions cheesesteak. Jim's also has some very good ones.

I grew up in Philly and now live in Omaha, Nebraska for over 15 years. I still say that Geno's on 9th St. in Philly has the best sandwich and fries. Omaha has lots of beef, but no one can match Geno's.... Boy do I miss those sandwiches....

GENOs steaks are the BEST. I grew up in Philly and ate Geno's cheese steaks almost every night. I live in VA and really miss Geno's there is no other place like it.

#1(tie) When you're in South Philly, and yes if you're checking out a game at the Vet you're in South Philly. You have to have a steak at Geno's!! The meat is cut thick, the cheese is always fresh, the rolls are perfecto. One thing... You gotta order it right or it's like the Soup Nazi, "no soup for you!" Order it like this.... Your cheese (Provolone, American, Whiz (cheez whiz) and with or without (onions) and you can get sauce with it as well. For example: "Provolone without" Provolone cheese steak without onions. Important note: It's open late. You're on Delaware AV clubbing you have to hit Geno's.

Submitted by Mike Cunningham (hamradio@geocities.com), who I've dubbed the Cheesteak Guru! Sept. 21, 1996

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Corinne,

Wow! Thanks for all of the suggestions. When I have a free minute I'll check out the links. I suppose I should email our cousin and find out if she has any food restrictions or strong dislikes.

I don't think we'll have time for cheesesteaks, though :sad:. We're heading to the 'burbs for my daughter's interview in the morning and will probably leave directly from there for home in New England.

All the West Philly choices would be good, though a few might stretch your budget a little. It's hard to find a place with other than diner-type food where you can get out for less than $25, including tax and tips, since entrees are going to be from slightly under to slightly over $20 at most establishments.

Also, the Windsor is not walking distance from Penn and West Philly (except on the nicest of days, when you've got 25-30 minutes to spare). A cab ride from your hotel to there would run less than $10, including tip.

The Windsor is at 17th and the Parkway, and it is walking distance from Restaurant Row (Walnut between 15th & 18th) and Rittenhouse Square. However, most of the places at either location will be well above your target budget.

A few Rittenhouse Square area eateries fit the bill, though. Pizza, of course. Lombardi's at 132 S. 18th St. or Pietro's Coal Oven Pizzeria at 1714 Walnut are only a 5-10 minute walk from your hotel.

A bit pricier but still within your range (if the ladies don't order lobster!) and walking distance is Philadelphia's classic fish house: Sansom Street Oyster House is at 1516 Sansom St. That would be my choice. If your daughter is a true 'foodie', recommend the oysters and the snapper soup. Yum.

Chinatown is an easy eight block walk (or $5 cab ride) -- just walk down Arch or Cherry street (the latter can get a little desolate at night, and you might not wish to go that way). Lots of choices there.

The Rose Tatoo might be a good choice, though it would stretch your budget a little. It's at 19th and Callowhill, just four blocks away and a pleasant walk through Logan Square and its Calder fountain.

Let us know where you wound up and how it was!

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Thanks, rlibkind, for the suggestions.

Update: change of hotel venue. I don't know what possessed me, but I started playing on Priceline to see if I could get a hotel room in the University area. Determined to snag a room at $65 for the night, I let myself get carried away and add "Downtown" to my bid......looks like we'll be at the Wyndham Franklin Plaza.

Does this change any of your suggestions? And for heaven's sake if it's a crummy hotel or a crummy location, don't tell me! :wink:

Willing to stretch a little on the $$. I assume dinner for the three of us will end up being around $100 or so, and after the 4 hour drive during prime time I'll be ready for a glass of wine.

No, not a crummy hotel....no, not a bad location

Are you meeting or picking up your niece at Penn?

If so...someone is going to have to cab it to some place and I think the $10 price (with tip) for a cab to University City is top price....... maybe less...it is a very short walk as mentioned before but for dinner and 3 females ....you will not be walking..but not a long cab ride

Many of the restaurants I mentioned are on the higher end for an "inexpensive meal"....

but so often that bill gets high because of all the bottles of wine etc.. so if only one wine drinker in the crowd.??!!

Nan...you can do well at low cost...you will have to bring your own wine

Penne ...you can do well...hey the homemade pasta plates are $10-12

Zocalo... again....not your high end place...Meixcan... and I bet you would like to share appetizers so everyone can taste more....

just my thoughts...

Not sure of the arrangements yet, it may depend on how early we can get into Philly. Alyssa used to work in admissions as a campus tour guide so it would be great to meet her on campus and get a private tour. It would be great to have dinner nearby, then we'll take a cab back to the hotel.