• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Firefly

vengroff

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, dinner at Firefly in exactly.....5 hours 23 minutes!! having trouble focussing on work on my desk. :biggrin:

what is the best thing on the menu right now??

"What, after all, is more seductive than the prospect of sinning in libraries?"

Michael Dirda, An Open Book

Okay, dinner at Firefly in exactly.....5 hours 23 minutes!!  having trouble focussing on work on my desk.  :biggrin:

what is the best thing on the menu right now??

Those cornmeal dumplings are darn good....

I'm a sucker for the Michael's Diablo although I get it with the blue chees on the side.

I'm totally jealous--Mr. BLB pooh-poohed an attempt mid-week to go with a remidner that we had a big dinner at Ray's tonight. Oh, and total, abject poverty due to taxes...

Enjoy!

Jennifer

P.S. The Bittersweet Panna Cotta is heavenly!

Well I'm sitting here in my bathrobe, drinking a big mug of coffee, trying to recover from a REALLY fun evening at Firefly! (Okay, going across the Circle for pints at Biddy Mulligans afterwards was probably what did me in :rolleyes: )

Anyhow, it was grand. We were celebrating Mr. EllenH's birthday and had convinced a few friends to join us. Everyone cleaned their plates, but there wasn't much sharing so I'll just tell you what I had:

Cornmeal Dumplings [thank you, bookluvingbabe!!]

These almost chewy dumplings with the hefty chunks of flavorful mushrooms on top are genius.

Crab-Stuffed Trout

I'm a sucker for just about any combination of fish and crab. This one is a winner.

Bittersweet Panna Cotta [again props to blb]

Decadently chocolatey without being at all cloying. And plenty of it, too :raz:

This was all complimented by a bottle of California Syrah that Derek recommended -- I don't remember the make & model, but it's the only one on the menu. I'm a wine beginner, but I was impressed that this was a red with a lot of flavor that didn't swamp the fish. (He recommended it based on my question about his 2 australian shirazes, at that point we hadn't even decided on food yet)

The food was great, the service was just right, and they even brought my husband a birthday slice of espresso poundcake with ice cream with one discreet candle on the corner of the plate. I also got to meet egullet favorite Derek so that was fun!

Thanks Firefly, what a perfect place to celebrate :wub:

"What, after all, is more seductive than the prospect of sinning in libraries?"

Michael Dirda, An Open Book

This was all complimented by a bottle of California Syrah that Derek recommended -- I don't remember the make & model, but it's the only one on the menu. 

I think that's the Havens Syrah, from Napa, a 2000, if I remember correctly.

I had a wonderful dinner there this past week, (that's why I remember the wine list still!). The fried oysters were, I think, the BEST I have ever had. For our entrees we had the lamb (fabulous, flavorful and juicy), but the pork was heavily salted. Never mind, as the rest of the experience was terrific as always.

To drink we had the EXCEPTIONAL 2002 Scott Paul Pinot Noir, from Willamette Oregon. It was "Cuvee Martha Pirrie" if I have the spelling right. Luscious, berry overtones, satiny, and elegant. Tastes like something twice the price. I need to now look for this in the stores.

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

Glad your dinner went well and my recs worked out.

We're going on Saturday for our 11 month wedding anniversery/5 year dating anniversery.

Counting the minutes until I get those dumplings and the fried oysters again...

Jennifer

Well I'm sitting here in my bathrobe, drinking a big mug of coffee, trying to recover from a REALLY fun evening at Firefly!  (Okay, going across the Circle for pints at Biddy Mulligans afterwards was probably what did me in  :rolleyes: )

Anyhow, it was grand.  We were celebrating Mr. EllenH's birthday and had convinced a few friends to join us.  Everyone cleaned their plates, but there wasn't much sharing so I'll just tell you what I had:

Cornmeal Dumplings [thank you, bookluvingbabe!!]

These almost chewy dumplings with the hefty chunks of flavorful mushrooms on top are genius.

Crab-Stuffed Trout

I'm a sucker for just about any combination of fish and crab.  This one is a winner.

Bittersweet Panna Cotta [again props to blb]

Decadently chocolatey without being at all cloying.  And plenty of it, too  :raz:

This was all complimented by a bottle of California Syrah that Derek recommended -- I don't remember the make & model, but it's the only one on the menu.  I'm a wine beginner, but I was impressed that this was a red with a lot of flavor that didn't swamp the fish.  (He recommended it based on my question about his 2 australian shirazes, at that point we hadn't even decided on food yet)

The food was great, the service was just right, and they even brought my husband a birthday slice of espresso poundcake with ice cream with one discreet candle on the corner of the plate.  I also got to meet egullet favorite Derek so that was fun!

Thanks Firefly, what a perfect place to celebrate  :wub:

My family and I had a great meal this past Wednesday evening at Firefly. We had the dumplings, mussels and tuna appetizers -all superb. For mains we had the trout, the lamb sirloin and chicken - all delicious and beautifully presented. Wines consisted of a 1/2 bottle chenin blanc (of course!) and an Aloxe-Corton half-bottle. Unfortunately, I didn't write the names down, but they were both excellent and nicely priced. Shared desserts included the mango sorbet and the Panna Cotta - yum!

Very cool restaurant!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I tried the brunch at Firefly this weekend, and although everything tasted wonderful, I was quite surprised at the complete lack of garnishes. It seems very odd to me that a restaurant would serve such an excellent omelet (the crab omelet really was delicious) just bare, on a nearly white plate. A little color would have made my meal so much better. As it was, I felt oddly disappointed by this wonderful omelet.

Was the garnish just forgotten in my instance, or is this actually the typical method of service?

I tried the brunch at Firefly this weekend, and although everything tasted wonderful, I was quite surprised at the complete lack of garnishes.  It seems very odd to me that a restaurant would serve such an excellent omelet (the crab omelet really was delicious) just bare, on a nearly white plate.  A little color would have made my meal so much better.  As it was, I felt oddly disappointed by this wonderful omelet. 

Was the garnish just forgotten in my instance, or is this actually the typical method of service?

well , most of the people dont eat those garnishes so why bother ? I always like the chefs who keep it simple.

Corduroy

General Manager

1122 Ninth Street, NW

Washington DC 20001

www.corduroydc.com

202 589 0699

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Enjoyed another great meal at Firefly on Friday night. I started with the Chilled Tomato Soup with Marinated Mozzarella, which was a refreshing dish on a hot, summer day. The Braised Lamb Shoulder with Tomato Bread Pudding is as good as everybody has been saying. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the Tomato Bread Pudding, which had a terrific texture. My wife had the Pork Scallopine, which she thought was terrific (she wouldn't let me try any of it, not that I let her try the Lamb Shoulder :rolleyes:). My Aunt, who was in town from Atlanta for a conference, fell in love with the restaurant and could not stop raving about the Grilled King Salmon. The only miss for the night would be the Espresso Poundcake, which was light on the espresso. It had a nice texture, but was lacking in flavor for our taste. Otherwise, the dinner was excellent, and my Aunt is looking for any excuse she can to get back to Firefly before her conference is over.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food."

• 3 weeks later...

WABECK THINKS PINK

Just when it's too damn hot to watch Derek assemble all those complicated concoctions, Firefly is again pouring bottles of the same stuff you'd be drinking if you were relaxing beneath the plane trees in a small Provençal cafe: pink wine.

Apparently they drink rosé in Spain, Australia and Santa Cruz, as well, based on the wine list somebody shot me. And Chef is pounding out a worldbeat appetizer menu to go with the rosés, too: a little spaetzle here, a little pupusa there, maybe some polentina if you're in the mood.

My father was culinarily damaged as a young boy -- having been raised Irish Catholic he spent his formative years eating spectaculary unsavory fish ever Friday. It wasn't until much later in life -- after the 1982 invention of seared tuna, I believe -- that he learned that fish was not something to flee. Many of us suffered similar trauma as a result of drinking cheap "blush" wines and foul "white Zinfandels" in our youth. Now is the time overcome our fears and spend August as it should be spent: drinking pink.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

• 2 weeks later...
We have reservations for 8/20 at 6:30ish - coming from Atlanta! Can't wait!

You will have a wonderful dinner. Enjoy!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 weeks later...

It was wonderful! From the fried oysters to the Roast Chicken, Braised Lamb with a side of truffled parmesan frites to the visits with Derek and John - it was a magical meal.

Thanks John and Derek!!

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com