• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Uh oh...Jim Beam Distillery on fire

zilla369

Looking at the television right now, watching a million gallons of bourbon on fire in one of the Jim Beam warehouses in Bardstown, KY. No word yet whether anyone's been hurt. What a huge blaze!

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Quick, somebody find a hundred tons of ribs to smoke....

Damn, I hope this isnt their primary storage facility. Hope nobody gets hurt.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Apparently, not the distillery facility itself, but rather a group of storage warehouses a few miles away. Latest news is that the fire was started by lightning.

Here's a link with a picture, but to read the story you have to register.

edited to clarify: for the time being you can see the picture without registering, though.

Edited by zilla369 (log)

Update: No one was hurt!

Editorial comment: Thank God it wasn't Maker's Mark.

Editorial comment:  Thank God it wasn't Maker's Mark.

a double AMEN on both counts!

but it is still "alcohol abuse". Anyone remember a few years back when the Heaven Hill warehouses burned & caused all of the environmental problems in the river?

what a tragedy.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

Editorial comment:  Thank God it wasn't Maker's Mark.

a double AMEN on both counts!

but it is still "alcohol abuse". Anyone remember a few years back when the Heaven Hill warehouses burned & caused all of the environmental problems in the river?

what a tragedy.

Yes! 1996. Unfortunately, their burning warehouse was on a hill above some of their other warehouses, so the trickle-down method was in full effect. Also, the burning whisky spilled into the river, creating a burning river surface that killed lots of (pickled) fish.

I wonder if insurance covers these things? I wonder if they have lightning rods? I shall find out.

Pictures of the fire and stories here and here. Apparently, it was only about 2% of their inventory.

:unsure: Uh oh, I smell rising prices... and USEPA agents in full force to determine the impact and long term effects of the large flowing Bourbon and Water river. (Anyone remember when Smucker's had to undergo remedial efforts as they inadvertently caused a huge clog of the sewage system with grape jelly in Orrvile, Ohio?)

:wacko: