• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eleven Madison Park

sophie

• 11 months later...
Mr. Heffernan seems to have a special gift for flanlike textures, shared by that goat cheese parfait and a cauliflower royale that is part of a seared squid appetizer. As a reflection of the seasons, the squash flan will be replaced soon by an English pea flan. I bet it will be terrific.
The best of Mr. Heffernan's food is. But much of his food is unremarkable and some of it is poorly executed. That chicken was overcooked. Those sweetbreads were dry. Zinfandel-marinated beef cheeks tasted like day-old pot roast and came to the table almost cold. A frisée aux lardon was overdressed.

Eleven Madison Park (Frank Bruni)

Note: As of this writing, the star rating for the restaurant has not been posted yet on the Times' web site.

Soba

I agree with Fat Guy reguarding the food. I found it somewhat underwhelming, especially for a restaurant of its supposed pedigree.

I also felt quite rushed by the waitstaff there--as if they just wanted to turn our table over as quickly as possible.

If you want to go to restaurant in that neighborhood, I'd go to Tabla, right next door.

edit: To their credit though, they did let us finish the rest of the wine that the table next to us didn't finish. :biggrin:

Edited by iheartoffal (log)

Nothing to see here.

It looks like two stars from this link.

That's a demotion, is it not? I recall 11MP being three stars. Incidentally, when's the last time the Times promoted a restaurant? It has been a while. Frank Bruni has written quite a few re-reviews himself, and I'm quite sure that not one has been a promotion. Amanda Hesser didn't promote anybody, either.

It looks like two stars from this link.

That's a demotion, is it not? I recall 11MP being three stars. Incidentally, when's the last time the Times promoted a restaurant? It has been a while. Frank Bruni has written quite a few re-reviews himself, and I'm quite sure that not one has been a promotion. Amanda Hesser didn't promote anybody, either.

It's a restatement. It looks like the first an only review was Reichl giving it two stars in '97.

I believe that is correct. I don't recall a Grimes review, or one by an interim reviewer. The best I can remember, the big shocker was that in the first round of reviews Tabla got three stars and Eleven Madison Park got two -- I'm sure that wasn't the plan!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 5 months later...

Some interesting news today from the Union Square Hospitality Group: Eleven Madison Park will be getting a new chef. Kerry Heffernan, the current chef and a partner in the restaurant, will be shifting over to a new venture from the Union Square Hospitality Group called Hudson Yards Catering. He will stay at Eleven Madison until a new chef is chosen and through the transition, and he will remain a partner in Eleven Madison Park.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Why yes I do! I'll post some information on another topic soon.

• 3 months later...
Some interesting news today from the Union Square Hospitality Group: Eleven Madison Park will be getting a new chef. Kerry Heffernan, the current chef and a partner in the restaurant, will be shifting over to a new venture from the Union Square Hospitality Group called Hudson Yards Catering. He will stay at Eleven Madison until a new chef is chosen and through the transition, and he will remain a partner in Eleven Madison Park.

Hi There, do you know if this happened or do you have an update. The website still lists Chef Heffernan as exec chef.

Anyone have recent reviews?

Thanks,

Hi There, do you know if this happened or do you have an update. The website still lists Chef Heffernan as exec chef.

Anyone have recent reviews?

Thanks,

Chef is in and out of the kitchen these days. The sous chefs are running the show with his menu. This is not unlike any other manhattan restaurant, sort of... Eleven Madison is running smoothly.

I love innovation and am a fan of creativity in the kitchen, (when done well) but I can get excited by a perfect roast chicken if it's a superb bird.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently it is offical that Daniel Humm is going to be the new chef at Eleven Madison replacing Heffernan who is moving over to Hudson Yards Catering. Humm is going to EMP from Campton Place in San Francisco. I will be interested to see how the menu is tweaked next year under his new influence.

jpd

edit: typo

Administrative note: Reviews and discussion of 11 Madison Park under Chef Humm can be found here.

Edited by Pan (log)

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin