• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frog Hollow Peaches

rdailey

notice the orange-ish cast to the background. i've found that's the real key to getting the sweetest fruit.

As opposed to the smell? Or are you talking about situations where you can't sniff the fruit?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

notice the orange-ish cast to the background. i've found that's the real key to getting the sweetest fruit.

As opposed to the smell? Or are you talking about situations where you can't sniff the fruit?

With this fruit you can't miss either. It also feels right.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I ordered Frog Hollow peaches and nectarines for the first time two summers ago, after reading about them in Saveur.

After tasting the fruit that arrived in July (variety was something like 'nectar queen' or something similar :unsure: ), I ordered a couple of boxes of Cal-Red peaches for family that I was visiting in Cape Cod. None of us had ever tasted such ambrosial fruit before.

It's understandable that those living near wonderful farmer's markets have higher standards. However I never understood all the fuss about peaches before I tried one of these, and I see that as a real gift (albeit one that broke my bank account temporarily and made it impossible for me enjoy other fruit for a long time).

I love Frog Hollow peaches and nectarines and I'd order them again if I were still living in the States. If I'd been able to buy more I'd have used them in cooking, but these were perfect on their own and I was afraid to do anything except enjoy them out of hand. I imagine that they'd elevate dessert to a new level.

Also, my fruit have always arrived in flawless condition, very well-packed.

edited to remove an idiodidic typo

Edited by Verjuice (log)

They are just so wonderful on their own it is sometimes hard to justify using them with other ingredients. They do make for great desserts though.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Sexy photos, docsconz!

frog hollow peaches are so good, i forgot how good they are, but seeing those photos i remember. thank god i'm off to southwest france tomorrow: i know there is a fragrant, juice-dripping peach and nectarine with my name on them, ripened in the sun and waiting for me to bite in, but not waiting too long, because within hours they will be past their prime. my plane lands around 4 pm and i'm hoping that the first peach/nectarine eating opportunity arises soon after that!

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

They are just so wonderful on their own it is sometimes hard to justify using them with other ingredients. They do make for great desserts though.

Oh, I'll bet.

I want to add that the Frog Hollow nectarines were just as extraordinary. After tasting damn near perfect specimens of both, I have to say that I love them equally. Supermarket nectarines are usually even more bland than peaches, in my opinion, so these were an epiphany for me. Sublime.

Obviously, I think that they are worth the hype, however I'll be in the San Francisco area next week and I'll be checking the farmers markets for something comparable...

!!!

I bet you can get Frog Hollow fruit there. It would be interesting to compare them to some of their competitors too.

Twitter - @docsconz

I bet you can get Frog Hollow fruit there. It would be interesting to compare them to some of their competitors too.

You can usually find them at Monterey Market in Berkeley as well, during the season.

And while I haven't been to the Berkeley farmers market in a bit, I think you can find them there as well. I think I have heard that they are also available at the Ferry Plaza market.

good question. the smell will tell you when it's ripe. but that orange-ish cast tells you it had really high sugar (the two things are unrelated--ripeness is a physiological state that comes to all peaches [and the rest of us, come to think of it]; high sugar comes only from being grown the right way).

You can usually find them at Monterey Market in Berkeley as well, during the season.

And while I haven't been to the Berkeley farmers market in a bit, I think you can find them there as well. I think I have heard that they are also available at the Ferry Plaza market.

I've seen them at the Thursday farmers market in Berkeley. Not sure about the other days of the week.

We got a shipment of 2 cases of peaches from Dairyland USA in northern New Jersey. One case was over ripe. The other was excellent. However, the price was really expensive. There were eight to a case and were $38. :shock: Not cheap!

I guess I know why the French Laundry and Per Se uses them. To be able to charge more money.

"To invite a person to your house is to take charge of his (her) happiness for as long as he is under your roof."

Brillat Savarin

You don't have to like everything I make, but you still have to eat it.

A Co-Worker from Work

We got a shipment of 2 cases of peaches from Dairyland USA in northern New Jersey. One case was over ripe. The other was excellent. However, the price was really expensive. There were eight to a case and were $38.  :shock:  Not cheap!

I guess I know why the French Laundry and Per Se uses them. To be able to charge more money.

I am assuming that you got Frog Hollow peaches from Dairyland USA with them a a reseller. That might explain the over-ripeness as my fruit directly from the farm always has arrived perfectly ripe. No one has said it isn't expensive. The price certainly isn't for the faint of heart. While I sometimes can get decent supermarket peaches and nectarines, nothing where I live has ever compared to these. In that peaches like these are my favorite fruit, I don't mind paying more for them.

Twitter - @docsconz

Doesn't having the peaches shipped kind of defeat the purpose? Mustn't they be picked "early" in order to withstand the rigors and time-delay involved in shipping?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Doesn't having the peaches shipped kind of defeat the purpose?  Mustn't they be picked "early" in order to withstand the rigors and time-delay involved in shipping?

not necessarily. it just makes shipping much more expensive and demanding. peaches like frog hollow's (and honey crisps) are picked nearly dead ripe directly into foam padded flats. they go through no sorting or boxing beyond what happens in the orchard. they they are shipped immediately.

what happens to commercial peaches is something short of this. but that's why they cost 99 cents apound.

They are awesome peaches. I'm lucky to get a couple of cases a week to work with. I do my heaviest snacking when cutting those things up. Saute them up with some butter, brown sugar and brandy add vanilla ice cream on top of all that. So good!

I had never heard of them before this season started, but they're stuck in my head now.

Obviously, I think that they are worth the hype, however I'll be in the San Francisco area next week and I'll be checking the farmers markets for something comparable...

Okay, now I'm seriously excited.

My plans were to leave the airport in SF on Tuesday at around 2pm, find a hotel, then be in Berkeley with plenty of time for my dinner reservation at Chez Panisse. I figured I'd, you know, take a walk or something. Then I realized I should look up farmers markets schedules before I make plans to leave the area, and I found...

THIS!

The timing could not possible be better. I can't wait. Has anyone else been? I assume Frog Hollow will be there...

edited to make 'THIS' more VISIBLE.

Edited by Verjuice (log)

Verjuice,

I haven't been to that particular festival in Berkeley...

The SF bay area stone fruit was a little watery early in the season, due to the late rains; but, is really coming into its own now. Sampled some truly yummy stuff at yesterday's farmers' markets.

If you like peaches, nectarines, and plums, you picked a great time to visit.

-Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Verjuice,

I haven't been to that particular festival in Berkeley...

The SF bay area stone fruit was a little watery early in the season, due to the late rains; but, is really coming into its own now.  Sampled some truly yummy stuff at yesterday's farmers' markets.

If you like peaches, nectarines, and plums, you picked a great time to visit.

-Erik

Yes, and it really is a total coincidence that this will be my first -and only. on this trip- afternoon in Berkeley. I hope I can control myself so that I have room for dinner :shock:

(Note to self: Resist urge to eat on plane. Resist urge to eat on plane... )

I will report back when I have a chance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I received what is likely to be my last shipment of the season of peaches from Frog Hollow today. They are "Summerset" peaches and are billed by FHF as "cosmetically challenged" and easily bruised. They are, however, quite possibly the best peaches yet. The acid/sugar balance is incredible and the pure peach flavor amazing.

gallery_8158_790_63973.jpg

Twitter - @docsconz