• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisine of Cognac or Armagnac France

I am feeling a little out of place in this forum, as I usually stick to the Beverages forum, but here goes. . .

I am hosting a Cognac and Armagnac tasting at a local club and would like some imput as to the cuisine that should be offered. I am considering two options: a one course meal or heavy hors d'oeuvres. I would like suggestions for region-specific cuisine, within reason. Cost is a factor, so nothing too extravagant. Thanks for your assistance.

Are you talking about the cuisine that should be offered with the cognac and armagnac or the local cuisine from the area in which these brandies are distilled? Although both are vaguely in the southwest of France, neither would recognize the other as being in quite the same area. Actually if one had to draw the line, the Charente (cognac) might be in the northwest. In their respective areas, they are not considered beverages to be consumed with food. They are digestifs to sipped after dinner or at odd hours.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Armagnac comes from the northern center of Gascony. Goose and goose foie gras probably most typify the area. So does duck, especially duck confit, and duck foie gras. It's an area of hearty eating. We should add pates and sausages of both pork and the two water birds as well as stews and hearty soups. Cassoulet comes from a neighboring region and might be a good one pot meal, though probably not at this time of year. Maybe a selection of cold pates would be preferable, accompanied by cornichon pickles (which are not at all like gherkins). Galantine of duck could be spectacular. It's a lot of work, but it enables you to streetch a duck carcasse with pork forcemeat and perhaps mushrooms to serve more people. Julia Child has instructions in the first volume of Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Boning a duck involves some skill although I hear it is easier than boning a chicken.

Cognac comes from the Charente area which is famous for its butter. There's not that much that distinguishes the cuisine. Oysters and mussels from the coast are favorites. The food resembles that of Bordeaux where people pay more attention to the wine, it seems.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.