• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Wine Camp: Super Whites

Fat Guy

Is it a white Burgundy, a Napa chardonnay? No, it's Super Whites!.

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Named by Slow Food and backed by its public relations machine, the Friuli "Super Whites" tasting tour once again rolled through the United States.

Have these guys considered the negatives of naming a wine "Super White"? Kind of a public relations nightmare in the American deep south, I'd say.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Named by Slow Food and backed by its public relations machine, the Friuli "Super Whites" tasting tour once again rolled through the United States.

Have these guys considered the negatives of naming a wine "Super White"? Kind of a public relations nightmare in the American deep south, I'd say.

No - not a bit. This concept was created in Italy where they do not have a clue about such American embarrassements.

The Vie de Romans stuff is incredible. I have an argument all the time with a dear friend ( I think it is just his youth coming out) about Italian Chardonnay. His take: "too much lemon" I say: "No it is not Burgundy, nor is it pineappley old American Chard- it is what it is. A little more lean and dry" Now given that has anybody tried the Mocagatta Chardonnay or the Manincor Cuvee Sophie? Sophie could be a little burgundian in some kind of loony bin. Both have been excellent in past vintages although I have not had them recently. As for politics, I prefer to talk about gastronomy when dealing with Italy or France. Both countries have deeply disturbing political history of which they should be ashamed.

over it

Is it a white Burgundy, a Napa chardonnay? No, it's Super Whites!.

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Fortunately, the notion of Super-White is not (yet) associated with de-acidification, barrique aging, and high levels of dry extract. Although The Ronco del Gnemiz Sauvignon Etichetta Nera is a step in the direction.

BTW - there are two Sauvignon and two Chardonnay at Vie de Romans? which ones did you have? Also, there are two Sauvignon Blanc made by Venica & Venica - a regular one and a single vineyard called Ronco delle Cime.

BTW - there are two Sauvignon and two Chardonnay at Vie de Romans?  which ones did you have?  Also, there are two Sauvignon Blanc made by Venica & Venica - a regular one and a single vineyard called Ronco delle Cime.

Venica Sauvignon Ronco delle Mele - the Ronco delle delle Cime is a Tocai.

Vie de Romans was the regular chardonnay.