• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maine : Kennebunk Area

cheekycook

I've spent the best family vacations in Maine, but the last time I was there was 15 years ago, I must have been 12 then.

Now, I'm 27 and a chef in Montreal and am looking for happiness which is: good places to eat. :laugh:

We've always stayed in the Kennebunk area because God knows we could never pass up the lobster rolls at Nunan's and let's not forget their blueberry pie, I can't wait to go back!!

But if anyone has suggestions for cool little places that are off-the -beaten-path where the locals like to go, please let me know.

The suggestions can be anywhere from Portland (I've heard Commissary is s'posed to be good, is that true?) to say, York.

Breakfast spots, lunch & dinner, fire away and give me your honest opinions!!!

Thanks in advance!

You'll do find in Kennebunkport.

Here are my favorites there or nearby:

Lobster Roll: Cape Porpoise Lobster Company - Next town north.

Fried Clams: Favorite: Allison's - On the Square in Kennebunkport

Also the Clam Shack right at the bridge

Breakfast: The Green Heron Across from the Schooner Inn on Ocean Avenue

Also Dockside Cafe Behind the Schooner Inn

Also Maine Diner - also good for Dinner. I invented the Lobster Benedict dish on their breakfast menu though they refuse to give me credit. :angry:

Dinner: Mabel's Lobster Claw Across from the Schooner Inn where the Bush family sometimes hangs out. Mabel is a character and a half.

On the way up: Flo's Hot Dogs. Route 1 in Cape Nedicks

In Portland, while walking the Old Port - Perry's Hot Dogs.

And if you have time, and time you should make, a day trip to Red's Eats in Wiscasset.

Other than the Green Heron and Mabels, you can find more info on all these places here (this is the food discussion website where I'm allowed to post a link, right :raz: )

Eating the New England Coast at HollyEats.Com

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

You should pick up the new book by Rebecca Charles; it's a good way to get into the spirit of the town, and it contains some cuisine information too.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I've heard that Commissary is closed...can anyone confirm?

But Fore Street and Hugo's are still there - either place is more than worth a trip north.

J's Oyster Bar, down below Commercial St. is one of the last "real" waterfront eateries. It shows the wear and tear of at least a hundred rogue high tides. Which is good!

If you are by chance looking for a finer dining experience, try the White Barn Inn on Beach.

The other places that Holly recommended are also right on spot for "locals" type of places.

You can also google Kennebunkport and come up with a few Chamber of Commerce type of websites that might suit your needs.

I haven't been back to Kennebunkport in many years. When I was in late teens/early twenties, my friend and I would housekeep at the Fransiscan Monastary in exchange for room and board. Friend's brother went to school there and we would all go up for long weekends with lots of people. They have a fresh water in ground swimming pool on the property. I do believe that the monks did lots of praying for us - we were very bad - and had lots of fun. :raz:

I have spent every summer in Kport since I was 3 with my family. We rarely go out to eat when we we are there, but there are a couple of places in Cape Porpoise that haven't been mentioned.

I forget the name of it, but if you are in Cape Porpoise, head to the docks, harbor and you will see a lobster/clam shack. My mother and friends swear by their lobster roll. We also really like Prebbles, a great fishmonger. And there is a little gourmet/small everyday grocery store down the road between Prebbles and the harbor. I am sorry the name also escapes me.

If you go to the Clam Shack, watch out for the gulls!

Edit: Saw that Holly mentioned the Cape Porpoise Lobster Company. Not sure if that is the same place?

Edited by nerissa (log)

Thank you everyone for all the great info!!! I can't wait to rediscover my childhood nostalgia! :laugh:

Thanks Nerissa for the tip on Prebbles & the market, I'm certain that will come in handy :laugh:

And I will definitely be checking out that book, thanks Steve!

Is Nunan's in Cape Porpoise still there after all these years and is it still just as good? because everyone seems to be talking about "the Cape Porpoise Lobster Company".

My dad took my mom on a date to Nunan's back in 1964, she took one look at the place and said "no way I'm eating there!", she couldn't understand how people could want to eat in such a seedy little shack.

Needless to say my mom finally caved due to hunger and fell head-over heals in love not only with my dad but with the place too. My dad was vindicated & the rest is history... :biggrin:

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone for giving me great tips on where to go. I had an amazing time, everything is still the same, just as I remember it.

Holly, The Green Heron Ruled!!!, we were there every morning!!! I really miss their breakfasts and hospitality (Mr. Kusuma a big hello to you and your son, thanks for everything!!).

Holly, thanks for the mention on that coffe house near the candy store.

For all the gourmets out there, you have to have the sandwiches from "Market Day" on route 35, amazing!! Plus they have a great selection of fine foods, microbrews, wines and coffee.

As for lobster rolls "Nunan's" still came out on top!!! (sorry, we went to the Cape Porpoise Lobster co. and they can't touch Nunan's with a barge pole). They are also celebrating their 50th year!! Congrats!!

Kennebunkport is still my favorite vacation place in the whole world!! I'm already planning next year's trip. I just wish it hadn't taken me this long to go back...

Edited by cheekycook (log)

• 4 weeks later...