• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

5 meals in San Francisco...

jsfreed

The Martini House is still excellent. I had a very nice lunch yesterday at Pilar in Napa, they are located squarely in the middle of what was a big mess and they are not only open for business but the interior is spotless. Anything that is going to reopen either already has or will very soon. The only sign in downtown Napa that the place was underwater is the stacks of sandbags and a few shops with their doors closed.

How about for a special cocktail?

For cocktails, try Cortez on Geary Street in the Hotel Adagio (great small plates too) or Enrico's in North Beach.

I have to second Gary Danko for that special dinner--so amazing! The 5 course menu is $85 a head--get the seared foie gras, it is an orgasmic experience.

You can see what I had to say about our trip to SF last Sept.

Another place that our waiter at Danko's recommended was Quince. We could not get in, but our waiter said that it was started by Gary's long time sous, and that the food is excellent. Perhaps someone can enlighten us?

For cocktails, I like the bar at the Palace. There is a beautiful Maxfield Parrish painting over the bar, and the bar snacks are very tasty and spicey.

Edited by scordelia (log)

S. Cue

-Clementine on Clement at 2nd Avenue.  French bistro, excellent all around, esp for price.

-Chapeau! on Geary at 15th Ave.  Similiar to Clementine, but much louder.

-Zazie on Cole between Parnassus and Carl.  I have much affection for this place as I lived in the neighborhood (Cole Valley) for a long time.  French/Cal.

While I did enjoy my meals at Zazie and my one meal at Chapeau! (haven't been to Clementine), for a neighborhood French bistro, I much prefer Le Charm (5th Street at Folsom). I don't think I've had a bad meal there. Good duck confit, wild boar shoulder confit, and a floating island as good as Moissonierre in Paris.

Bill

I should add that none of the French bistro suggestions (Le Charm, Zazie's etc) is going to be a surprising experience for a New Yorker who's eaten great meals all over.

I'll take a slightly different approach and mention a few interesting dishes worth checking out. First a couple dessert items (not exactly Espai Sucre, but interesting enough):

souffles at Campton Place in Union Square

highly rated executive chef Daniel Humm has left, but pastry chef Garrett Melkonian is sticking

around, according to the waiter when I had lunch there last week. Melkonian works with some

unusual flavor combinations; see for example http://tinyurl.com/agvec

carmelized brioche French toast at Winterland (http://www.winterlandrestaurant.com/)

I've been defending Winterland in a recent thread; Vernon Morales is trying to do some

interesting things there. A recent review:

http://www.arthurhungry.com/archives/2005/12/winterland.html

Then a couple Pakistani dishes at lowkey neighborhood places:

tandoori fish at Kabana (1106 University Ave, Berkeley)

nihari (tender beef stew heavy on ginger and cloves) at Pakwan (16th Street at Guerrero, SF)

Finally, if you care for ice cream in March (should be warm enough in SF!), Marco Polo gelato: http://tinyurl.com/9swc2 . I recommend the red bean, lychee, and for the brave, durian.

Bill

Durian ice cream? Sounds like something I will have to try!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Durian ice cream? Sounds like something I will have to try!

Heh... it's not uncommon in southeast Asia where I grew up. Marco Polo makes a creamy, flavorful version. The lychee will make a good pallet cleanser afterwards.

A few other items I thought of later:

vegetarian abalone at R&G Lounge (http://www.rnglounge.com/)

a signature dish of one of my favorite Cantonese restaurants in SF

scallops (3 seasonal preparations) at Michael Mina's (http://michaelmina.net/michaelmina/)

crab cakes at Cortez (already recommended earlier in this thread)

Bill

Hopefully, the staff at Cortez will continue to excel; but, the Chef and Pastry Chef are headed back to L.A.

SF Chron Inside Scoop

Former Chronicle Rising Stars Quinn and Karen Hatfield plated their last dish at Cortez (550 Geary St., near Taylor) on New Year's Eve.

:sad:

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 2 weeks later...

Ame got a very good review in today's Chronicle Magazine and sounds intruiging.

Ame Review

It took Ame, the couple's new restaurant in San Francisco's St. Regis Hotel, to give Sone a platform to freely mix cultures, often with glorious results. Some might categorize his handiwork as fusion, which has about as much cachet in the culinary world as a Nehru jacket does in fashion.
Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 2 months later...
Keep the recs coming. I knew that this was going to be difficult with so many great possibilities and not enough time! Thanks.

So after all your research, Doc, where did you end up going... and what would you recommend to fellow travelers headed to the Bay area in June? How did they compare to your wonderful best of 2005 list? Any of them a lock for your 2006 list?

Keep the recs coming. I knew that this was going to be difficult with so many great possibilities and not enough time! Thanks.

So after all your research, Doc, where did you end up going... and what would you recommend to fellow travelers headed to the Bay area in June? How did they compare to your wonderful best of 2005 list? Any of them a lock for your 2006 list?

I got together with Molto e. Our specific reports so far can be found at these links: Chez Panisse, Jade Villa in Oakland, Manresa, The French Laundry, The Slanted Door, Bouchon Bakery, Mijita Zuni Cafe, Incanto and Ame. We still have yet to report on Koi Palace, Hog Island Oysters and Taylor's Automatic Refresher. I hope they will be forthcoming in the near future.

We ate extremely well while in the Bay Area. As for comparisons that would be extremely difficult. My number one meal of the year so far remains Studio Kitchen in Philadelphia. None of the meals on this trip to California would crack my Top Ten for 2005, but that is not because these meals were slouches. 2005 was a particularly exceptional dining year for me - in fact my most exceptional ever. Each restaurant meal on my list was truly excellent in a variety of respects and all nearly perfect. In addition to having outstanding food, a number of those meals had personal associations that in my mind elevated them to exalted levels. As for 2006, it is early yet, but at least four meals are contenders for my top ten including Chez Panisse, The French Laundry, Manresa and Ame. I intend to try to provide them with some pretty good competition. :wink:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

My wife and I will be in SF for her 30th birthday and want this to be the complete food experience. I'm looking for suggestions for:

1) a real California burrito place (in the Mission, preferably),

2) a fantastic and interesting dinner place (nothing stuffy or traditional French please) in the $100/per person range,

3) a good Italian joint

4) the best place for Dim Sum.

5) And if anyone knows a great bakery for breakfast and coffee, we wouldn't mind the suggestion. 

Wow, am I demanding?  I'd be happy to suggest the same for anyone visiting the under-rated restaurants of DC.

Josh

Disregard, didn't look at the date

Edited by Elrushbo (log)