• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prix Fixe /Table d'Hotel

elfin

In America and Canada the portions for Prix Fixe and Table'd' Hotel are huge. I know in France the portions are smaller. Is it acceptable to share my courses with my husband (I am talking about something larger than a taste). He would still order an entree and an appetizer while I would order the Prix Fixe. We always order something diffferent so we can taste/share/sample the delicious food. We will be in Lyon and will not be dining at the super top places-Bux we are using your list of recommended places as our guide. But we will have a baby (one year old) and I am pregnant so there will not be a big wine tab-I really do not want to do any more things to offend. Thank you.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

Yes, it's fine to share. Especially if you'll be ordering a la carte as well. A small detail, you may want to have your husband order the prix fixe and you order the entree and plat. And with a one-year-old and especially if you're visibly pregnant, don't worry about offense - you will be doted upon and forgiven. :biggrin:

Portions are often smaller in France, but it also depends on the restaurant. I've had some large portions in some restaurants even in France. Prix fixe can mean a lot of things in France as well. At one time, restaurants in France were required by law to offer a prix fixe meal, I don't know if it's still a requirement, but many do and many have several prix fixe menus. Sometimes the difference between the less and more expensive ones are the number of courses. At other times, it's the relative expense of the ingredients. Often, there's a cost savings by ordering the prix fixe, but sometimes not. Until you've seen the menu, it's really impossible to know what you want to do. Fortunately, all restaurants in France are required to post the menu outside. You my in fact, want to order a la carte and let him have the more complete meal.

Lest we get too confused, in France, what Americans call a menu, is called a carte. The menu is what's offered as a set meal. You can have a prix filxe menu or a degustation menu. If you walk into a restaurant and ask for a "menu," you are likely to be served the special menu of the day and never be offered a look at the "carte."

Anyway, it's not clear to me exactly what you want to do. If one of you orders the prix fixe menu, that person is likely to get three courses. If the other orders an appetizer and main course, that person will have one course less. If one of you is ordering a tasting menu, that's another story. As far as splitting dishes, we have at times asked a restaurant if a dish can be prepared and served on two plates. We've only done this in upscale places and in order to have our own tasting menu. We've had some success in this and often it's a dish by dish situation. Some dishes can be split, others do not take well to being split. In Spain we do this a lot. In France we do it less often. At bistros, it's usually less feasible. There's no harm in swtiching plates halfway through a course and I've been known to finish off a plate my wife has not finished after I've finished my own dish. As I started to say, I'm not sure I understand what it is you want to do.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

For example, if I order the Prix Fixe ( 3-5 dishes), and my husband orders a la carte (ie one entree with or without an appetizer) we share the Prix Fixe dishes such as the salad and dessert. We do not request an extra plate or ask the kitchen to split the dish-usually we can place the portion on a bread plate or switch plates mid meal.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

For example, if I order the Prix Fixe ( 3-5 dishes), and my husband orders a la carte (ie one entree with or without an appetizer) we share the Prix Fixe dishes such as the salad and dessert.    We do not request an extra  plate or ask the kitchen to split the dish-usually we can place the portion on a bread plate or switch plates mid meal.

I see that as reasonable under most circumstances. I would only note that some restaurants still look askance at someone ordering only one course.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Miam miam, I am hungry again! It never occured to me that it was not proper to switch plates with my husband, we do it all the time, everywhere, whether at Le Carre des Feuillants or the bouiboui du coin. We even plan the meal and try to agree on what we both want. The only trouble is that HE takes a larger portion of dessert than his agreed-upon half.

Seriously, we have never been discouraged from doing that by words or disapproving looks. I really think chefs and maitres d'hotel like it. Restaurants have become so much more informal than they used to be no ties, no jackets for men... I still like to "dress up" for a change, but neither my brother, a Parisian nor my husband do. What hasn't changed is the relatively quiet diners in France, compared to Americans in American restaurants.

Oops, I am going off on a tangent, triggered by carte vs menu choices. :sad::shock::laugh: