• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boycott of French Wine Fizzles

Craig Camp

It's fine with me if others continue to boycott French wines :biggrin: . If only Italy and Spain had joined the French :biggrin:

Seriously it does seem easier and less expensive to buy fine French wines right now. While I do think Chirac and France were self-serving in their stance on Iraq, I also think a boycott on French products, especially wine and cheese is silly. We should, however, continue to boycott French weapons, biologic and chemical lab supplies and nuclear technology :biggrin: .

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

We should, however, continue to boycott French weapons, biologic and chemical lab supplies and nuclear technology :biggrin: .

Ok now where am I supposed to pick up that used centrifuge? ;)

What make me laugh are the people that take the wine they already have paid for and dump it out. At that point the money is in French hands, enjoy it!

Living hard will take its toll...

I found the article's headline to be out of sync with the article's content. Somewhat like the menu writer who doesn't communicate with the kitchen. The first quarter (before the hubbub) was great, but...

Since then, many Americans say they are less likely to buy French products.

More than 40 percent of Americans said they were less likely to buy French products... according to an April survey ...

And sales of top French labels have fallen almost 9 percent from a year ago, April figures ...indicate.

They go on to quote merchants who speak of a 10% to 20% slowdown in French sales, maybe due to the Euro, displeasure with the French, etc. It's clear the merchants and wholesalers haven't experienced sufficient pain to cut prices. There's nothing like a sale to overcome conscience or moral qualms.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo