• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Outdoor Dining

Fat Guy

For those who do not like to dine outdoors but who might like the indoor/outdoor experience of an enclosed garden, there are: La Madeleine, the French bistro, on W. 43rd St., just off 9th Ave.; and Plate 347, on 2nd Ave., between 20th & 21st Sts., which has a French/American menu.

For those who do not like to dine outdoors but who might like the indoor/outdoor experience of an enclosed garden, there are:  La Madeleine, the French bistro, on W. 43rd St., just off 9th Ave.; and Plate 347, on 2nd Ave., between 20th & 21st Sts., which has a French/American menu.

Also along that "indoor/outdoor" line -- Vince & Eddie's on the upper West side. I think it's on 70th St. between CPW and Columbus.

gnocco cafe on 10th street and b has a nice little garden in the back.. partially covered with plexi to allow for a touch of protection should it rain..

the absolute worst place has to be that place on the westbound crosstown street on the upper east side.. can never remember whether it's on 96th or 86th.. north east corner.. sitting out there for a meal one must see, literally, hundreds of cars drive by, not ten feet from where you're sitting..

7A has a little outdoor area.. while i don't love their food, it's nice people watching, across the street from tompkinds square park..

the outdoor area in bryant park cafe is nice.. the food is not the best, but it's fine..

the hudson hotel has a wonderful inner courtyard that's outdoors.. they have great hugely scaled furniture, beds to lounge away the day on, and amazingly comfortable seats (think velvet couches, etc.) for an outdoor space.. foods not half bad.. go for a restaurant week lunch, have a couple cocktails afterward and waste the day away there..

try "1492" on Clinton St. between rivington and stanton-great area-great food since the opening a few years ago-no great sites, but being outdoors with good food beats being outdoors with mediocre fare and great views anyday, afterall what are you there for?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
It's been a while since I had brunch at Miracle Grill, but I've enjoyed it, and it's a nice little outdoor space.

FYI -- I believe that the Miracle Grill that had outdoor seating no longer exists. There is another one on Bleeker Street, but it does not offer a garden, and may not even have sidewalk seating.

Gascogne - We rented out the back for my wife's birthday a few years ago. One of my best outdoor dining memories every.

Da Nico - Not my favorite for food, but the back area is huge and very relaxing for an early-evening summer meal.

Boathouse in Central Park - We almost considered having our wedding here but balked because you needed to ship in air conditioning. Definitely better to avoid in the hotter months as the water is stagnant.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point