• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montclair - OVERRATED

toddevan

I drive straight down Bloomfield Ave into Bloomfield for a very tasty meal at Dev's Jamaican Cuisine. It's spotless (but horribly overlit inside), the family who runs it is really nice and the food is great.

A few more details please? Maybe an address?

I just did an exhaustive online search and can't seem to find it ( but I did find a good listing at http://eatjamaican.com )

As you drive into downtown Bloomfield there is a small triangular park on the left with a few trees and a Bloomfield sign. If I recall correctly there's also a bank on the corner by the park. Dev's is in the next block, on the left and has a large yellow illuminated sign. I'll do a bit more checking and if I can get a specific address I'll post it here as a followup.

FOLLOWUP: now I've found it -

Dev's Jamaician Cuisine

597 Bloomfield Avenue

Bloomfield, NJ 07003

973-748-3868

Yes, Hoboken is the place to go..... :)

Indeed.... if easy and abundant parking is important, let's all drive to Hoboken - NOT!

Edited by phaelon56 (log)

I always order a bottle of Ting :laugh: but then again... don't we all? (Super Stop and Shop in Clifton by Clifton Commons is now stocking Ting and also Jamaican Ginger Beer!).

Yeah.... I always get curry goat or jerk chicken and it's delish, as are the sides. They offer a large and small dinner - same deal on each - entree with three sides but portions are huge on the large dinner and the sides are very consistent in quality. I always have the cabbage, rice 'n peas and ripe plantains. My friend did get stewed oxtail on one of our visits there and it was very good - the fat was properly cooked off and the portion was more generous than I sometimes see with oxtail. The jerk is done the right way - I've been in a few West Indian and Jamaican places including the one across from Bangkok Garden in Hackensack and the one in the Manhattan Mall food court, whetre they just put some kind of jerk sauce over the chicken as though jerk were just a form of BBQ. Dev's is the real thing - jerked and infused with the flavor throughout - nice and spicy.

Edited by phaelon56 (log)

I wouldn't go out of my way, but there is a decent little mexican joint in Montclair. Tinga Taqueria, I think its called. NJ Monthly Online says the address is 215 Bellevue Ave, Upper Montclair (973-509-8226), which matches with my memory.

Supposely the place was opened by a trio of friends with no restaurant experience who thought it would be "fun" or something like that... But the food is good, even though its served semi-cafeteria style (you order at a counter, and they bring it to you).

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Mexican - certainly worth checking out. I refuse to go back to Mexicali Rose in MOntclair after we took less than 40 minutes from start to finish for soup and entrees (party of three) and when I asked about dessert was advised "We're busy and people are waiting for tables - we can't serve you dessert - you have to go now". Indeed I did.

That's what I like about word of mouth advertising - it costs nothign and in small increments is ultimately (one hopes) effective. I remember my good experiences and share with others and I also sure as heck remember the bad ones and am never shy about sharing them.

Anyone know why that abandoned department store remains on an othewise pretty street in its dilapidated state-- what an EYESORE, especially when you are sitting outside at South Park Grill!!

It has been abandoned and laying fallow for at least 15 years!!

Tinga Taqueria may deserve its own thread maybe. I've only been once, and unfortunately had the same thing as the person I went with, so I didn't feel ready to talk about it in greater detail yet. It's about 1/2 a mile from my sister's place though, so I know I'll be back at some point. They were even out of take-out menus when I went. :wink:

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

menton1 - you may not have seen my earlier post about the store across from South Park Grill. It's called Hahne's and the good news is, finally, it was purchased by two developers who are turning it into retail stores and apartments. And across the street - in the parking lot next to South Park - they're planning a hotel.

You're right; it's a horrible eyesore and has been a matter of major concern especially to those of us who live a couple blocks away. But i hear they're planning to begin construction within the next few months ...

I love the restaurants in Nutley, you have Terraza's, Franklin Steak House, Papillon and my favorite The Petite Cafe. Most of these restaurants have outdoor seating, it is just so pretty looking down Franklin Ave. and seeing all the tables outside.

And you didn't mention American Bistro, Scuttlebuts or Little Saigon - all above average within the small confines of Nutley...as well as Ralph's Pizzeria which I still consider the best pie this side of the Hudson...OK all - you caught me plugging my hometown :biggrin: - but Nutley certainly deserves mentioning as a small town with some rather decent eateries...

A.D.S.

little saigon is the best vietnamese within 20 miles. that's a fact.

the franklin steakhouse is a great fun place with great burgers.

those 2 alone could set nutley apart. and with the other options, it's certainly a hidden little gem. although that defines nutley as a whole anyway. it truly is a hidden little gem. shhh. don't tell anyone.

go nutley!!!!

Edited by tommy (log)

upper saddle river - none

definitely off-topic but, Yossi's bagels in Upper Saddle River makes good sandwiches and has a tasty whitefish spread.

South Florida

within 20 miles Saigon Grill UPper east side also good

Saigon Republic in Englewood also, although I hear that tommy is scared to go in there. :wink:

i was making a point to say something nice about Nutley, not to garner recs for every other decent vietnamese restaurant in jersey and NY.

Little Saigon is great too. Actually it is more of an "authentic" Vietnamese restaurant than Saigon Republic. KT at SR likes to try new things, most items are plated individually, although it is perfectly acceptable to share. It is also slightly more expensive than most Vietnamese restaurants. LS has a more extensive menu, but no specials to speak of. Also, if you like or live by Nutley, go to LS, if you like or live by Englewood go to SR. Or both, like we do when visiting friends in Nutley. And, as tommy was "making a point to say something nice about Nutley" then the comparison between the two is pointless with regard to this thread, which should be about Monclair and the surrounding area (?) of which Nutley may be included, but I wouldn't include Englewood.

That being said, however, I think tommy's assertion that "little saigon is the best vietnamese within 20 miles" is mistaken. As not only is Saigon Republic within that 20 mile radius, but so is Saigon Cafe in Jersey City. There was also a place, just down Newark Ave from Saigon Cafe called, I think, Miss Saigon. This is the one that I would consider most on par (food and price-wise) with Little Saigon, however it was a much larger restaurant. I can't find it listed on yp.yahoo and we haven't been there in a couple years. Does anyone know if it still exists?