• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Daily Nihongo (2003 - 2004)

torakris

word for 6/5:

today we are going to play with the Chinese character mori (盛from yesterdays moriawase) a bit, mori has many many meanings but here are some pertaining to food and menus in particular.

大盛り oomori (ooh-moe-ree) a larger then normal serving, this appears on menus indicating that the serving size is larger then average. The first character means large. In restaurants it is not uncommon to hear men asking for their side of rice to be made oomori.

山盛り yamamori (yah-mah-moe-ree) this is more a description of the dish, the first character yama meaning mountain it refers to the shape of the food on the dish. Usually piled up into a mountain shape.

The character actually comes from the verb moru, which means to heap or pile up. This character is actually made up of 2 characters, one on the top and one on the bottom.

皿 this bottom character is pronounced sara and means dish or plate

成す 成る these verbs are nasu and naru and mean to complete, to achieve, to take form, etc

Edited by torakris (log)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

word for 6/6:

fuu (foo)

the other reading for this kanji is kaze or wind, this particular kanji has about 100 different meaning depending on what the second character is. It can be used in various words describing climate and nature, as well as bathtub, endemic disease, a wrapping cloth, ballons, rumors, satire, and disreputable businesses.

When discussing food it is used quite a bit, usually follwing another word and then it means style or like, for example:

和風 wafu -- Japanese style

洋風 yofu -- Western style

スペイン風 --Spanish style

タイ風 Thai style

These can describe both the traditional foods from the country or be used in descriptions of food that is similar to the style of cooking from that country but adapted to use local ingredients or to appeal to local palates.

So for example paella may be referred to as just paella (using the Spanish name) or it might be called something like spain-fu gohan (Spanish style rice). Or you might see something describd as Thai-fu becasue it contains chillies and lime juice though it is not of Thai origin, so is this case it is more Thai like.

It can also be used to descibe something that is being prepard in a style that is not typical of it, for example you will often see things listed as sashimi-fu that are not raw fish. A recent cookbook purchase has a sashimi-fu eggplant dish, I have also seen sashimi-fu nagaimo (potain potato), sashimi-fu tomato salad, etc.

Edited by torakris (log)

word for 6/7:

風味

fuumi (foo-mee)

This word means flavor or taste and is used in conjunction with another word to describe the "main" taste of the dish. here are some examples:

柚子風味yuzu (Japanese citron) fuumi

カレー風味 curry fuumi

山椒風味 sansho (Japanese pepper) fuumi

Fuumi is not used to describe the main element (protein/vegetable) of the dish but the rather the "garnish" (including herbs and spices) that gives it its overall flavor.

let's rest our brains today and learn an easy word associated with food, word for 6/8:

おなか

onaka (oh-nah-kah)

stomach, the everyday word

unless you are getting technical, then it is

i (ee)

Edited by torakris (log)

word for 6/9:

温かい

atatakai (ah-tah-tah-kah-ee) though it is often prononounced atakai (losing one ta)

warm (occasioanlly meaning hot) usually referring to foods that are served at a temperature they are not normally served at, such as atatakai salad.

The word warm as meaning the temperature outside is also pronounced atatakai but the kanji is different

暖かい

Edited by torakris (log)

word for 6/10:

rei (reh-ee)

cold (the oppososite of the above atatakai)

this character can get very confusing because it can be pronounced in a multitude of ways.

冷しゃぶしゃぶサラダ reishabu-shabu sarada this is a very popular summer dish in Japan, a cold shabu shabu style salad

冷水 reisui this means very cold or ice water

冷奴 hiyayakko , this can be written 2 ways with the character reading just hi or hiya, this is the cold tofu dish

冷やすhiyasu , to cool or refrigerate

冷ますsamasu, to let cool

冷たい tsumetai, this means cold to the touch and it often used to describe foods that may normally be erved warm, such as a tsumetai soup.

I just realized we missed a very important word, so for 6/11:

料理

ryouri (ryow-ree)

This means cooking or preparing food as well referring to dishes and cuisines.

私は料理が好きです

watshi wa ryouri ga suki desu.

I like cooking.

美味しい料理

oishii ryouri

delicious foods

料理番組

ryouri bangumi

cooking show

フランス料理

furansu ryouri

French cuisine

since we are on basic words at the moment, for 6/12:

台所

daidokoro (dah-ee-doh-koh-roh)

kitchen

though nowadays it is just as common to hear

キッチン

ki-chin (kee-cheen, there is a slight pause between the kee and the cheen)

since we are still on basics, word for 6/13:

いらっしゃいませ

irashaimase (ee-rah-shy-mah-say) with a slight pause befor the shy part

welcome,

normally shouted at you as you walk in the door! :biggrin: even at Mc Donald's, and not just by one person but everybody.

sometimes shortened to irashai

Edited by torakris (log)

おなか

onaka (oh-nah-kah)

Hi Kris-sensei,

Please teach us how to say we are hungry and full. Your mention of onaka on 6/8 made me think about "onaka ga suita" and "onaka ga heta".

Thanks!

Elizabeth

I like this thread - just found it.

It made me think about one of the first sayings my Japanese teacher taught me in college.

"Natto igai wa, nan demo tabewaremasu." "Except for natto, I can eat anything!"

I had not tried natto when I learned that sentence, and it scared me so much I still haven't! A friend in Japan who was in a homestay and had opportunity to try it told me that with some shoyu, mustard, and rice, it wasn't too bad. Any thoughts?

Elizabeth

おなか

onaka (oh-nah-kah)

Hi Kris-sensei,

Please teach us how to say we are hungry and full. Your mention of onaka on 6/8 made me think about "onaka ga suita" and "onaka ga heta".

Thanks!

Elizabeth

words for 6/14:

おなかがすいた  (おなかがすきました)

onaka ga suita (onaka ga sukimashita)

oh-hah-kah gah sue-ee-tah

I am hungry (the one in parantheses is a little more formal)

Elizabeth mentioned onaka ga heta as well and that is fine to say as long as you are a male and preferably whith a group of peers (best not to use it on formal occasions). During college I lived my my Japanese boyfriend and thus onaka heta was what I heard every day, I assumed this was the normal way of expressing ones hunger and during an improv skit in my first year Japanese class, I came out with onaka heta (the skit was about being on a picnic) and the teachers jaw nearly dropped to the floor, it was then that I really learned just how different the language between males and females really is.

おなかがいっぱい (おなかがいっぱいです)

onaka ga ippai (onaka ga ippai desu)

oh-nah-kah gah ee-pie

I am full (the one in parantheses is a little more formal)

word for 6/15:

食べ放題

tabehoudai (tah-bay-hoe-die)

all-you-can-eat

For a while tabehoudai restaurants were the biggest thing in Japan, they are still around but not nearly as popular as a couple years ago. The word tabehoudai is usually preceded by the type of food, for example yakiniku tabehoudai, sushi tabehoudai, shabu shabu tabehoudai, cake tabehoudai.

We were at one the other night and it had yakiniku, sushi, ramen. soba, udon, salads, hot dishes (Japanese and Western), and lots of desserts--all for one price.

word for 6/16:

飲み放題

nomihoudai (noh-mee-hoe-die)

all-you-can-drink

A lot of "family" restaurants are set up with drink bars (non-alcoholic only, usually coffee, tea, colas, juices, and soup) that you can help yourself to over and over.

Some bars and karaoke places have choices or alcohol or non-alcohol nomihoudai for a set price, and they are very popular at izakayas, especially for large parties.

words for 6/17:

since we have already learned tabhoudai and nomihoudai let's take a step back and learn about the words that these words come from.

食べる

taberu (tah-bay-rue)

to eat

飲む

nomu (noh-moo)

to drink

word for 6/18:

たれ

tare (tah-ray)

sauce, usually of Japanese origin, though it is often seen describing Chinese and Korean sauces as well.

Western styel sauces are almost always described with the word ƒ\[ƒX (soosu), the Japanese pronunciation of the word sauce.

when there is a word placed before it, it ousually becomes dare

goma-dare (sesame sauce)

miso-dare (miso sauce)

wasbijoyu-dare (wasabi-soy sauce)

Edited by torakris (log)

word for 6/19:

あえ

ae (ah-eh)

these are thick type dressings often made from tofu, miso, sesame seeds, or egg yolks.

some common types are:

白あえ shira-ae, tofu dressing

白酢あえ shirazu-ae, tofu-vinegar dressing

ごまあえ goma-ae, sesame dressing

からしあえ karashi-ae, hot mustard dressing

we had a discussion of ae-mono (dressed things) here;

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...T&f=19&t=19502&

word for 6/20:

酢 す

su

vinegar

this is seen quite often, especially in salad type dishes but it also shows up in main dishes such as su-buta (vinegar-pork) which is the Japanese variation of sweet and sour pork.

It also has its own category of foods

酢の物 すのもの

sunomono (vinegared foods), discussed on this thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...T&f=19&t=19462&

word for 6/21:

醤油 しょう油 しょうゆ

shouyu (show-you)

soy sauce, most people know this Japanese word for soy sauce, but it often is confusing because it is written in 3 different ways depending on where you are reading it.

It is also pronounced jouyo when there is another word directly preceding it. Some examples:

wasabi-joyu a sauce with wasabi and soy sauce

karashi-joyu a sauce with karashi (hot mustard) and soy sauce

ume-joyu a sauce with ume (pickled plum) and soy sauce

word for 6/22:

we will move slightly off topic today as I teach you a wonderful word that coincides with today's date:

夏 なつ

natsu

summer

Today is the first day of summer in Japan.

word for 6/23:

酒 さけ

sake (sah-kay)

this is probably one of the most mispronounced Japanese words, people have been pronouncing it sah-key for so long long I have even seen cookbooks where it is spelled saki!

This is a very important ingredient in Japanese cooking, and just as you wouldn't use "cooking wine" for cooking, neither should you use a "cooking sake", use a sake that is worth drinking, your food will thank you. :biggrin:

word for 6/24:

みりん

mirin (mee-reen)

this is often called sweet rice wine in English, it is essentially made from rice, distilled alcohol and sugar, it is an essential ingredient to Japanese cooking. It is used for both the sweetness and the glaze or sheen that it gives to foods.

The problem with mirin is that there are many types out there, but only one that you want to be using.

本みりんhon-mirin, this is the real stuff! this is what you want to look for, this can often be located in the alcohol section because of it high (13% to 17%) alcohol content. It will cost you more then the fake stuff, but it is more then worth it. The ingredients should read rice, distilled alcohol, and sugar (and if you are really lucky there will be no sugar added).

The fakes

味みりん aji-mirin, this is probably the most commonly seen, sold near the soy and vinegars

新みりん shin-mirin, haven't seen this one too much recently

みりん風 mirin -fu, this seems to be the new name used on the fake ones

These fakes are normally made with corn syrup and other additives, some can have as little as 1% alcohol, so check your labels carefully before buying.

In Japan there are also aged mirins that are definitely worth buying if you can find them.

hon-mirin (left) and 3 year aged mirin (right)

i2046.jpg

the mirin thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=30998

Edited by torakris (log)

word for 6/25:

だし

dashi (dah-shee)

This is the Japanese stock and there are a couple types

一番だし ichiban dashi (primary dashi)-- made from water, konbu, and bonito flakes, this is very clear with a subtle taste and is best used in clear soups

二番だし nibandashi (secondary dashi)--made from the leftover konbu and bonito flakes from making ichiban dashi with the addition of fresh water and some some bonito flakes, this is used more often for thicker type soups and broths for noodles.

昆布だし konbu dashi (kelp dashi)-- made from soaking konbu in water usually over night

煮干だし niboshi dashi (sardine dashi)-- made from small sun dried sardines either with water or some of the kombu dashi

some dashi discussion was here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...T&f=19&t=21765&

word for 6/26:

味噌  みそ

miso (mee-soe)

fermented bean paste

There are probably as many different misos in Japan as there are cities, towns and villages.

There are generally three categories with many subdivisions and local varieties/

白味噌 shiro miso, this is the white miso and is the sweetest

信州味噌 shinshuu miso, this is the yellow/golden/light brown miso that is probably the most popular, it is named for the shinshuu region (which covers Nagano and surrounding areas).

赤味噌 akamiso, this is the red or dark brown miso, it usually has the strongest flavor. Two of the most famous types are Sendai (a city in the northern part of Japan) miso and Hatchou miso, which is the reddest of the reds.

misos can be smooth or chunky with the addition of additional ingredients, such as barley.

Some miso talk:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...t=11690&hl=miso

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...t=18840&hl=miso

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...T&f=19&t=17794&

Edited by torakris (log)