• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Belmar Seafood Festival

=Mark

This weekend is the 15th annual Belmar Seafood Festival.  Almost 3 dozen local restaurants and a number of wineries will be there selling great food!

For more info Click Here.

Come by the WBJB Radio booth between 2 and 6pm Saturday and say hi!

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

• 10 months later...

Went twice to this event, once in 1998 and again in 2002. Usually the 2nd weekend in June. Vendors are great, food is usually very interesting, but there is nowhere here to sit down and eat the food!! No tables, no benches, nothing. And if its hot, you are right out in the sun. This is a tremendous detraction from what could be a great event.

Anybody know of a fun seafood festival where you can sit down and enjoy all the fabulous food? Maybe a few trees for shade as well. Thanks.

Red Bank Food and Jazz Festival

Get there early because it gets crowded.  Come say hi to me at the NPR booth.  :raz:

Thanks, sounds good. Will try to get there and say hello.

I just love seafood, however, and I salivate thinking about the rockfish sandwiches and oyster stew that I got at Belmar. The problem was, we had to eat everything standing up in the hot sun!! Do we have to go to Maryland or is there another one in NJ?

You should always check the Food Events page on Table Hopping With Rosie. This is posted there:

5/31 and 6/1: Michael Arnone's fourteenth annual "Crawfish Fest" will be held at the Sussex County Fairgrounds, Augusta. Doors open at 10:30 AM; entertainment will be provided both days Adult advance ticket $20; adult day ticket $25; under fourteen free with parent; two day combination ticket $35 in advance. Tickets can be charged by phone through Ticketmaster at 201-507-8900; mail order, at the box office and at the gate. For more information visit the website at www.crawfishfest.com

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Actually there are tables and chairs at the Belmar festival, they are over by the gazebo where the bands play. Problem is there are never enough of them and they fill up quickly. The same advice to show up early applies here too, not only for the crowds but to be able to park within a mile of the place.

You can come say hi to me at the NPR booth at the Belmar Festival and the Clearwater festival in August too. Don't know what times I'll be there yet...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

On the two occasions I was at Belmar, the people eating by the gazebo were sitting on the wet, sandy grass. No tables, no chairs. The only benches were the few that are on the boardwalk. Only about 3 benches per block. I will not go back there.

Edited by menton1 (log)

• 1 month later...

Well, not really the answer you are looking for, but...

Point Pleasant Beach also has a Seafood Festival the 3rd or so Saturday in September. Unfortunately, it is just as crowded, if not more so, as the Belmar one. :sad:

I try to get there early - even before lunchtime. The crowds are not too large, and you may be able to grab a table for lunch at the ones set up on the side streets off Arnold Avenue. From 2:00 or so on, it's crazy.