• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Legalizing Web Wine Sales

Craig Camp

Encouraging article - thanks. Now if only New York would follow that lead and legislate for free trade. Does anyone know what the current status is in NY courts? I know that the free traders have won the opening battles.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Encouraging article - thanks. Now if only New York would follow that lead and legislate for free trade. Does anyone know what the current status is in NY courts? I know that the free traders have won the opening battles.

NY's issue is currently awaiting an appeal by the state of of the Appellate Court's ruling which sustained the overturn.

The closely watched Fourth Circuit (Richmond VA) has thrown a curve ball at North Carolina. According to Wine Spectator, the judges have effectively banned local North Carolina wineries from shipping directly to NC customers. It was expected the judges would permit direct shipping b out of state wineries, citing the interstate trade regs. Instead, they supported the state's right to set a law which didn't discriminate, and sent it back to the legislators to make one.

Wine Spectator

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

For general updates on legal actions in various states visit:

Free the Grapes!

Thanks again, that is a great site. I just signed up for their e-mail newsletter. I have previously supported the Institute For Justice in this regard, but their interests lie well beyond just this issue and not all of which I favor.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz