• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

River Restaurant/ Amsterdam Ave

menton1

Heard some great things about the food at this place-- a melding of Vietmamese, Thai. and Chinese, in a tropical ambience. Has anybody been here and have some pertinent comments to report? Thanks!

Yes - it's good - eat there 2x a month or so. Don't get too adventurous - the chicken soup with coconut milk and chili oil is good - also grilled shrimp and chicken w/lemongrass. Pad Thai is Ok.

haven't been in years, but i put it in the same category as Rain:  mediocre, uninspired, "asian-fusion."  why settle for this when there are so many other options?  cheaper options at that.

Tommy-- Please tell me of these cheaper options in the same neighborhood-- Going with a party of 6-- Need Broadway-70s-80s area. Thanks.

haven't been in years, but i put it in the same category as Rain:  mediocre, uninspired, "asian-fusion."  why settle for this when there are so many other options?  cheaper options at that.

Tommy-- Please tell me of these cheaper options in the same neighborhood-- Going with a party of 6-- Need Broadway-70s-80s area. Thanks.

i don't know of much in that area. my point was that there are better asian places around.