• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who Serves the Best Hash in E Mass?

DTHEASH1

My favorite gross looking food is corned beef hash. Yes, I know it looks like dog food, but how many foods besides bread can you find where crusty is an attribute? I am always on the lookout for great hash. So far, the two best I can find are Buddy's truck stop in Somerville, and the Galley Diner in Southie. I like the Galley because the waitress doesn't stop smoking to come take your order. One if my buddies always has to be a smartass and ask for water with a slice of lemon. Plus, it's open on the weekends, which Buddy's is not. However, if you find yourself in Somerville Monday through Friday (I think they close all summer) treat yourself. Any other great hash?

My favorite gross looking food is corned beef hash. 

Yes. Yes. Yay for corned beef hash. Now I'm going to have to go over to my friends' meat shop and get a piece of their excellent (made on site) corned beef. Then I'll cook it with some carrots, turnips (rutabagas), potatoes, and onions along with a bay leaf or two, a few cloves, and many peppercorns. I'll have that for dinner and then I'll freeze some, and then I'll make hash out of the rest. Thanks DTHEASH1 for reminding me to do this!

For those of you that haven't cooked corned beef before - it takes 4-5 hours to get tender meat out of a brisket. So simmer it (actually a high simmer or a very very slow boil) for quite awhile with the spices and then add the vegetables toward the end.

It's not E-Mass, but the corned beef hash at the Miss Florence diner in Florence, MA, is the ne plus ultra. They grind it, stick big rounds of red onion into it, and fry into plate-size crispy crusty creamy perfection. It totally kicks ass.

What's your hash recipe?

I usually just dice the meat and vegetables, put it all in an oiled pan, add a little Worcestershire Sauce, mix and mash to a hash consistency, and flatten out. Cook until nicely-browned. Nothing fancy, but it's good.

If anyone's got suggestions for improvements, I'd like to try them.

Nickn, dice a little cooked tongue into the hash. Not too much. Just a little, preferably from the fatty end, not the tip. Potatoes onions and some whole butter with a couple twists of the peper mill.

Nick

Nickn, dice a little cooked tongue into the hash. Not too much.  Just a little, preferably from the fatty end, not the tip. Potatoes onions and some whole butter with a couple twists of the peper mill.

Nick

Nick I never would have thought of tongue. Smoked or plain? My friends usually only have plain, but as they also do smoking at their shop.....

I will pick up a tongue when I get the corned brisket. But then what does a single fella do with the rest of the tongue? That's a lot of tongue sandwiches. :biggrin:

Thanks, Nick II

Plain, cured, not smoked. Freidrich will do. If you get stuck with the tongue you can always make sandwiches.

Tongue, Turkey, Swiss, with slaw and Russian dressing on Rye is one I've always liked. It was a giant triple decker and the slaw goes on the sandwich. Not exactly kosher. Used to get it at a deli called Sarge's on 3rd Ave, here in NYC.

Nick