• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

QUIET Saturday night dinner in Bergen?

JeffWilson

I am looking for a nice, quiet restaurant in Bergen County for a nice dinner on Saturday night. Lately, all of the restaurants that we have gone to (heavily skewed to Englewood and Ridgewood) have either been noisy or deafening. My wife and I really count on the weekends to catch up with each other and I have yet to find a nice place that is quiet and that I don't have to pay over $100 for the luxury of a bit of quiet. Can anyone give me a suggestion. It doesn't have to be library-quiet, but the quieter, the better. Thanks very much!

Jeff

Tommy and Rosie,

THanks so much (I just love this site...it's almost...interactive!)

I decided to try Chez Dominque. I loved Chez Madeline and the reviews for this palce sound as good. I am wondering about the noise level, but if I remember correctly, Chez Madeline was pretty quiet. Thanks again...I have been thinking of trying Latour and I am sure I will get there soon. And I have only heard raves about Chef's Table (although isnt it cramped/noisy??)

Jeff

And I have only heard raves about Chef's Table (although isnt it cramped/noisy??)

i don't remember it as being cramped and noisy at all. from what i've seen, it's a largely well-heeled, older crowd.

latour is another good fit (not totally quiet, but easy enough to carry on a converstation), but i just don't like the place. they don't try hard enough.

enjoy.

edited for being a heel.

Edited by tommy (log)

America, in Tenafly. Most definitely not loud and probably one of the best upscale restaurants in Bergen County without question.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Bearstew--Read my report on Le Rendezvous and then ask me if I own stock in the restaurant.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...l=le+rendezvous

I don't have any connection to Jocelyne's but would happily kidnap the chef to take home so he could cook for me everynight. It is one of the best restaurants in NJ.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

America, in Tenafly. Most definitely not loud and probably one of the best upscale restaurants in Bergen County without question.

do you own stock in America?

No, I don't, but its a kickass restaurant just the same, which is why I recommend it so often.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

do you own stock in America?

No, I don't, but its a kickass restaurant just the same, which is why I recommend it so often.

ah. sorry. i was acting like an ignorant tool for a moment. my bad.

Thanks to all again...I will report on Chez Dominque tomorrow.

Jason,

I have heard great things about America, but there is always the caveat of "be prepared to spend a ton". While I often spend $250 - $300 for dinner for 2 in NYC, I just don't think the ambience of being in Tenafly compares to a table at Daniel, Le Cirque, or Jean Georges. I have friends that have spent near this amount at America and loved it, but thought it wasn't worth it compared to some top-tier NYC restaurants. Your thoughts? Thanks again

Jeff

Youre not gonna spend $250 for dinner at America, unless you order some really expensive wine. I think rachel and I have gotten out of there for under $120 a few times.

You also have the option of eating in their bar, which is nice too.

Sorry it took me a week...but here is my review of Chez Dominque

We arrived 5 minutes late for a 6:15 reservation in the middle of a downpour. Be aware that there is virtually NO waiting room, but fortunately we were seated immediately by Dominque. The room is quite small with about 12 tables. I am not sure why, but it seemed like a pretty quiet restaurant even though it was small and crowded. The menu is relatively brief. It is presented on a chalkboard that is brought to your table. There is a nice mix of seafood, meat, and vegetable dishes so that most people would find something that they like. After looking over the menu for a few moments, Dominque stopped by and offered up very accurate descriptions of each dish. Our waiter was also very helpful i nhelping narrow down the choices by telling us what dishes had some left on the plate on the way back to the kitchen and which were scraped clean.

We decided to start with the house smoked salmon and the grilled vegetable terrine with goat cheese. No further explanation is really needed on these, except to say that the salmon was outstanding and the terrine was pretty good. I was surprised how quickly they came, but was then surprised at the long delay for our entrees. (We were told that they cooked for 2 tables at a time, so we had to wait for the next table's orders). The entrees we had were "seafood pasta" - scallops, shrimp, mussels, and lobster in a lobster sauce over homemade fettucini, and Sole Almondine. The seafood pasta wsa wonderful and, surprisingly, not too heavy. The sole was light and fresh tasting, but more was needed on the plate. There was a few small pieces of sole but not much else. More sole and more of a side dish would help this tremendously.

For dessert, I was hoping and praying for a chocolate souffle, however I was informed that they are never served during the early seating and if I wanted one in the future I should call ahead and ask if it would be possible. There was a table of 10 that has pre-ordered rasberry souffles and they looked fantastic (although not getting chocolate seems insane to me). I had to settle for a chocolate ganache tart and my wife had the tart tatin. The chocolate was very good and the tart tatin was good enough.

A few other highlights of the evening:

* BYOB - love this. We brought a nice 1994 Hess Select Cabernet. This would probably cost $50 in a restaurant and I have a case so it's a win on 2 counts.

* Service was excellent, with a few lapses. The waiter was very knowledgeable and friendly. The only problem was the delay for entrees. The busboy needs a bit more training.

* Great bread. It's amazing how hard it is to find wonderful bread like this. Nothing fancy or unusual. Just plain light, fluffy, crisp french rolls.

* Domnique. A wonderful woman who is incredibly friendly and helpful. I honestly feel as though she would do anything she could to make your dining more enjoyable. (except make a last second chocolate souffle) :)

That's it. Thanks for everyone's opinions on where to go, but Chez Dominque now gets added to our list of regulars. All this and only 5 minutes away!

Jeff

We decided to start with the house smoked salmon and the grilled vegetable terrine with goat cheese.  No further explanation is really needed on these, except to say that the salmon was outstanding and the terrine was pretty good. I was surprised how quickly they came, but was then surprised at the long delay for our entrees.  (We were told that they cooked for 2 tables at a time, so we had to wait for the next table's orders). 

I don't think it's very surprising that the appetizers arrived so quickly despite the fact that there was a big wait between that course and the main course. Since the two items you ordered -- grilled vegetable terrine and smoked salmon -- are prepared ahead of time and do not have to be cooked, someone in the kitchen merely has to plate them and send them out. Your main courses, of course, involved cooking, and since you say the kitchen does only two tables at a time, you obviously had to wait your turn. And if that table of 10 was ahead of you, that would have made the wait even longer.