• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gen

Double 0

I went to Gen twice in the last two weeks. Once by myself, once with my wife. I sat at the Sushi Bar both times. The first time I went I started with Hamachi Kama (grilled Yellowtail neck) it was a very large peice from around the gills cooked to perfection then bathed in teriyaki sauce. Easily enough for two. Next up was Kamoto (sp) oysters on the half shell with a sweet sauce, perfect. Sea scallops slightly cooked with a blow torch and yuzu, the sweetness of the scallop and the sour of the yuzu worked great. After that it was Hamachi sashimi (my fav). I let the chef chose the sushi for me and ate way to much. Three things stuck out though, the Horse Mackeral, the octopus with shiso leaf and the Toro. They were all prepared traditionally but I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth.

The second time I went (with my wife) we brought beer (its BYO). We decided on no apps and went straight for the raw fish. They have a seperate menu that is called New Style Sushi, there's about ten items on it. Order everything (we did!) Salmon Skin Salad, Oysters, Scallops, Lightly grilled Tuna, Smoked Salmon, Mackeral in a Pepper Sauce and a few others that I can't remember. We also had a house special roll, just ok.

The Sushi Chef is from Nobu in NYC and very willing to take charge and be very inventive when he saw I was willing to go along for the ride. They had many special rolls on the two visits I was there.

The room was typical light wood with low music.

The service was always there serving our beers :biggrin: and making sure that our water glasses were full. The owner came over a few times to make sure everything was ok (she remembered that I had been in a week earlier).

Haven't had the Habachi yet, so no comment.

First visit $100 tax and tip included (way to much toro)

Second visit $100 (for two) tax and tip included

Gen

14B Chestnut Ridge RD.

Montvale, NJ

201 930 9188

BTW For what I've had so far I'd give them 4 out of 5.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

• 4 weeks later...

I returned to Gen last night with a fellow eGer from NY We had a great meal directed by Mr Lee (the sushi chef) We started with an ice cold block of tofu simply sauced with bonito flakes and soy based sauce, wonderful. We followed with toro sashimi, great flavor and nice presentation on a banana leaf over cracked ice. Next up was tempora SS crab, a miss,too much batter. Lightly blowtorchered sea scallops in a mixed seaweed salad was another winner. Four komamoto oysters were next;simple,briny,and sweet. A plate of bonito sashimi with jalapino slices and citris sauce and a small pile of spicy miso beads was a nice contrast to the oysters. The next dish was a revelation; chunks of raw tuna, slices of avacado, raw quail's egg yolk, a slightly sweet dipping sauce, and a bed of panko. Break the egg, dip the tuna and avacado in the egg roll it in the panko then into the sauce, it really worked well together. We followed this with giant clam sashimi (an acquired taste) and smoked salmon skin salad, crispy and tangy like lardon and chicory salad. Mr lee's presentations on every dish make them all special. Its BYO, We had 2000 Grgich Hills Chard, all butter and vanilla oak and Verve Cliquot Gold Label, alway a favorite. As usual the service is right there and its nice that they remember that I've been there before. Worth a trip, the new style sashimi and the specials really stand out.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

GSP exit 172, left turn onto Grand Avenue, go under the GSP

Right at first light onto Chestnut Ridge Road.

About a half mile. If you are welcomed into NY, you've gone too far.

The beloved and revered former president nixon lived nearby. he would have appreciated having a good sushi place in his 'hood

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

GSP exit 172, left turn onto Grand Avenue, go under the GSP

Right at first light onto Chestnut Ridge Road.

About a half mile.  If you are welcomed into NY, you've gone too far.

The beloved and revered former president nixon lived nearby. he would have appreciated having a good sushi place in his 'hood

Left on Chestnut Ridge 1st shopping center on right side. It has a few restaurants in it and a large gym that use to be a Grand Union. Bring your own Champ. glasses if you're going that route. Your mantra for tonight is "New Style Sashimi" and Specials. Enjoy.

• 1 year later...
Anyone been here lately?

All the time. Mr Lee is gone, but they've kept the the style and the quality up. The owner seems to try a little harder now. Btw that shopping center has two excellent rest. Gen and Canton Garden (very good dim sum on Sat and Sun that gets very packed) and a good Kosher deli.