• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Desperate Measures: Tartlets

Fat Guy

The recipe looks intriguing.  Can anyone tell me why vineagr is sometimes added to pie crusts?

The acid weakens the gluten in the four and helps produce a more tender crust. This is also one of the reasons buttermilk is used in some biscuit, cake and pancake recipes.

Oh you!

Is the puff in that recipe allowed to puff much or is it poked with holes to control it?  Sounds good, I need to hit the library.

Ben

poke to your heart's content!

yikes! did I say that?

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Yes, bacon would be great with them tartlets, but I would use anchovies. Btw, there is a world of difference between salt packed and oil packed anchovies, with the former being a clear winner.

Edited by Wimpy (log)

The recipe looks intriguing.  Can anyone tell me why vineagr is sometimes added to pie crusts?

The acid weakens the gluten in the four and helps produce a more tender crust. This is also one of the reasons buttermilk is used in some biscuit, cake and pancake recipes.

I had the same question about the vinegar in the Saveur article. Thanks!

I thought, though, that the acid in buttermilk pancakes, biscuits, etc. was to activate the baking powder or soda??? Does it also tenderize the flour?

How much is needed to get the tender effect w/o making the crust or whatever taste like salad dressing!??

• 2 weeks later...

mamster, yes, of course. Here's the recipe - now in the archive. QUAIL AND LAMB SWEETBREAD PASTRIES WITH SHIITAKE MUSHROOMS Our chef served it to us in demo with an incredibly delicious, ridiculously easy herb leaf salad - parsley, chervil, chives and a bit of tarragon - just dressed lightly with some vinegar and oil and salt and pepper. Really perfect together.

• 1 month later...

can you guys PLEASE be serious for at least one tiny second PLEASE?!!!?! :angry:

has anyone READ the recipe for onion leek tarts? there are no onions in it!

plus, now my pastry dough is in the fridge chillin where it will stay til tomorrow and i gotta say: damn that shit's way double buttery.

has anyone executed this?

kind thanks,

lissome the infamous

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Wow, that is an oversight, lissome.

(Jason readies his rattan to cane Mamster with)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Charlie Trotter has a recipe for a Bacon and Caramalized Onion Tart which is excellent - and it does have onion in it! :smile:

It is in the CT Cooks at Home Book and Ill post the recipe if you want...

Charlie Trotter has a recipe for a Bacon and Caramalized Onion Tart which is excellent - and it does have onion in it! :smile:

It is in the CT Cooks at Home Book and Ill post the recipe if you want...

waiting with bated breath awbby baby

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

has anyone READ the recipe for onion leek tarts? there are no onions in it!

If we are talking about the recipe from mamster's Desperate Measures article, then I'm seeing leeks (a type of onion) and onions in the ingredient list:

For the filling:

- 2 tbsp butter

- 8 medium leeks

- 2 medium onions

- 1/2 cup cream

- 2 egg yolks

- salt and pepper

- 1 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated

Or is this a different recipe you're referring to?

Sorry, looks like I'm the one that goofed when the recipe was entered into the eGRA a while back. Its been fixed.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Oh: nevermind. thank you Jason.

Edited by lissome (log)

-Beaumarchais