• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Indian restaurant in Denver

Bombay Clay Oven

165 Steele Street

Cherry Creek North

303-377-4454

An imposing facade leaves a lasting impression on most that will drive by this important street. In fact that is exactly what made us go back to it for dinner. The visual impact of the free standing restaurant was enough to leave us wanting to come back to try the restaurant.

More attractive than the other Indian restaurants we have visited, Bombay Clay Oven has the best food yet of the restaurants we have visited.

I most enjoyed the food coming out in ceramic bowls (nice white ones) instead of the usual (unfortunately all of their charm has died because of the over use in the Sub-Continental restaurants from India in the US and other countries) copper and stainless ones.

I would have painted the room in another color, but it certainly was a nice change from the far uglier spaces I have seen.

The manager/hostess Sony (Sp?) was most gracious. Krishna the chef is from a town near Udipi. Udipi is most famous for producing some of the most revered Southern Indian chefs. In fact Krishna had been the personal chef to an Ex-Governor of the Reserve Bank of India. He has lived in the US for 27 years. The food was really the best we have found thus far in Denver. It was interesting that this Southerner cooked us better Northern food than the others whose food we have eaten who hail from the North. He picked up Northern cooking after coming to the US. He has worked in many kitchens including the India Curry House in DC. He also learned how to speak Hindi by working in these kitchens.

All in all this was a nice experience. The only thing that was lacking was the quality of the Tandoori breads.

Today for their buffet they had a great Southern Indian buffet and a limited Northern Indian one.

We opted to order from the menu. I think we would have been just as happy eating the Southern Buffet. I told the chef I will be back to sample the fare from his native area.

The Baingan Bharta (eggplant sautéed with onions and tomatoes, a tasty amount of garlic and spices) was exceptional. The Dal Makhani (creamy/velvety black beans) was also very very good. The Bhindi (Okra) was good but they were using frozen okra and one could detect that. The Paneer Makhani (Indian cheese in velvet sauce) was very good. Just as it ought to be. For those of you who know Chicken Tikka Masala, it is a dish and flavor that you know well.

The Rose Lassi and the Plain Sweet Lassi were exceptional. Made from home made yogurt, they had the perfect taste of yogurt and the sourness that comes from good home made yogurt. It was better than most Lassi I have had anywhere in the world.

I would hope they could improve the quality of their breads and the rice. If these two could be improved, Bombay Clay Oven could be one of the better Indian restaurants in the US.

It's nice to hear that you're finding good Indian food in Denver. I haven't been to Bombay Clay Oven, and I'll be sure to try it now that I know you recommend it. There is another Bombay Clay Oven at 2680 E County Line Road Littleton, which is close to where you're staying. See if it's the same family that runs it.

Thank you for the tip, Suvir.  My father-in-law lives in Cherry Creek - we will have to take him to Bombay Clay Oven when we're there in June.  Is it appropriate for families?

Yes it is.... It is a charming change from the rest of the more tacky Indian restaurants...

I have never understood from where Indian restaurants find their inspiration for tacky and sad ambience... but this one is better of the lot I have visited in Denver..

The facade is actually impressive... I wish even the dining room was that compelling, that would make this restaurant one of the best in the US.

• 3 weeks later...

Suvir--

Add to your list of Indian choices Masalaa and Maruti Narayan's. Masalaa is strictly vegetarian, and located in a non-descript mall hall on Parker Rd and 225, and Maruti's is just down the street--neither have any decor to speak of, but the staff at both is gracious. A new Indian restaurant just opened in LoDo called India House, and in terms of decor, it far surapasses any Indian restaurant in the city, including Bombay Clay Oven. It just opened a month ago, and it's still getting its sea legs, but I enjoyed it enough on my first visit to return.

-Lori

Edited by pepperedpalate (log)

-Midson-

A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart, who looks at her watch

-James Beard-

Suvir--

Add to your list of Indian choices Masalaa and Maruti Narayan's. Masalaa is strictly vegetarian, and located in a non-descript mall hall on Parker Rd and 225, and Maruti's is just down the street--neither have any decor to speak of, but the staff at both is gracious.  A new Indian restaurant just opened in LoDo called India House, and in terms of decor, it far surapasses any Indian restaurant in the city, including Bombay Clay Oven. It just opened a month ago, and it's still getting its sea legs, but I enjoyed it enough on my first visit to return.

-Lori

Thanks Lori. We frequent Masala. And the servers are very nice. Both the young man from the North and the Southern Indian lady that we most often find there.

Actually, we have not gone there too often lately since I have been making Southern Indian food at home.

Yes, the Dosas, Sambhaar (lentil stew served with Idlis and Dosas), Coconut Chutney and the potato bhaji are far superior at home.. so the gang much prefers it made by me or mom.

Funny how most eat anywhere from 5-8 dosas each at home.. and only 1 at Masala or any restaurant....

I love the Idlis at Masala. They are SUPERB. As good as some of the best I have eaten in India. Much better than any I have eaten in NYC. :shock: For real.

I must try Maruti Narayan and India House. Thanks for the lead. :smile: