• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bernard Loiseau R.I.P.

Steve Plotnicki

John, Suzanne and Steve, as I recall the news and rumor around that story, I seem to recall that there was more than a hint that the fire was set by someone else and that Schillinger père was sleeping in the restaurant to protect it. Apparently there were previous incidents of vandalism against the restaurant. It's possible I read a sanitized story, but I had the distinct impression that suicide was not suspected. I do not recall the name of the restaurant in Alsace nor do I recall if it had one or two stars.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

About the fire, you're confusing the story, no Michelin stars were lost, that had nothing to do with it.

On 27 December 1995, a fire broke out at the Restaurant Schillinger - Michelin two star, Colmar - killing Chef Jean Schillinger, 61, by smoke inhalation. Investigators determined it was arson but the crime went unsolved for almost three years. Rumors flew. Finally three young men were arrested. They did not know the chef was in the restaurant - they explained they just wanted to attack a symbol of the bourgeoisie.

And yes, Chef Jean-Yves Schillinger is the son of the late Jean Schillinger.

As for Vatel - fiction.

Lou, thanks for clearing that up. I suspect it would be an unpleasant thing for a son to read so many years later on a web site like this, such a false story.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

Back to reports of Loiseau's death in NY newspapers, there's this by Corky Siemaszko on the Daily News web site.

" French chef who feared losing his top three-star Michelin rating chose suicide over the dishonor of running a less-than-exceptional restaurant, police said yesterday.

But had Bernard Loiseau waited until Friday when the new Michelin guidebook comes out, he would have learned that his La Cote d'Or restaurant was still one of only 40 in the world with a three-star rating.

Originally published on February 26, 2003"

Too bad not everyone at the News reads eGullet.

[writing about the 2003 edition of the Michelin guide whose ratings have been announced prior to publication date] Nobody lost their third star ...

In fairness to the rest of the press, most news services and other papers reported the death two days earlier and noted that Loiseau had kept all three Michelin stars, but that GM had demoted him from 19 to 17/20.

By the way, I was looking for the article Steve Cuozzo wrote for the Post on Loiseau's death, but the post charges even for recent articles. I read that article while waiting in a shop. It was a particularly strange self serving piece. Did anyone catch it?

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

• 2 weeks later...