• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

what ever happened to...

Fred Brack? Is he still around town? I thought he was one of the main strengths of Seattle Sidewalk, and he didn't migrate to Citysearch. Too bad. What's he doing now? Was he the one who wrote Dish?

anybody remember that?!

Born Free, Now Expensive

I used to love reading Fred Brack's reviews. The whole tone of Sidewalk was so great. I used to love reading all the reviews on there when they actually RAN REVIEWS.

I heard in my writer's group (shameless plug here: Seattle Writergrrls that they just hired a new Restaurants Editor. Her name is Hannah Levin and she formerly (or still is?) a contributing writer with The Stranger. Allegedly, they're going to "revamp" the site. However, I've heard big rumors that Ticketmaster still has no intention of pumping money into Citysearch. What a shocker in this economy!

The Citysearch product today really makes me dream of the good ol' days of Sidewalk....

I'm interested in finding out where Fred Brack went to write. Report back Mamster!

Edited by girl chow (log)

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

A quick Google search finds his byline on a bunch of editorial reviews of different kitchenware items at Amazon.com....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I used to love reading Fred Brack's reviews. The whole tone of Sidewalk was so great.

tell me about it Girlchow. I adored Sidewalk. I was upset when MS sold it. Citysearch killed it. hell, there are still some old Fred Brack reviews up on there, that's what made me think of him.

It was a great site, RIP :-(

was he the one who wrote Dish??? anyone know?

p.s.: now that I think about it, why isn't he on egullet?!

Edited by malarkey (log)

Born Free, Now Expensive

I used to write for Sidewalk, sort of. For about a year I wrote for Music Central, until it was folded into Sidewalk, so some of my stuff was one there. I don't think any of it made it over to Citysearch. And obviously this had nothing to do with food.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May