• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello everyone, my introduction

Greetings!

I am asked to do an introduction and well, I will do my best!

Ever since I was a child, I was interested in cooking. I loved helping my parents in the kitchen; especially my father who was fond of creating nice dishes, and who bought quite a few great books on, mostly, French cuisine. One day, as I was floating in the bath tub, he asked me what I would want if I passed the final tests in primary school; a shiny big coin, worth 2,50 (which was a LOT to an 11-year 'old'), or a cooking book.

I chose the cooking book.

Bien sûr 🙂

So, that, and more, pretty much set me off to enjoying cooking. Not that I think about it too much, but since I do and often had 'difficult questions' this lead me to talk to interesting people, and finally I was pointed in the direction of this forum which I am about to explore.

I already have one question for you, which I will post in the correct group (I still have to sort this forum out). If I post in the wrong group please correct me.

I am not sure what else to tell you about me, except that my favourite foods are vegetables, some fruit, cheese.

I LOVE coffee! And I will take a sip from the fresh batch now and come back to this forum as soon as I can 😊

• Like 3

Welcome to eGullet, @LD-NL! You'll find lots of friendly and helpful people here, and your story sounds like you'll fit right in. If you have questions about how the forums work, or where to post something, feel free to ask a host by PM (Personal Messenger). If you have doubts about where to post something, please don't ask or apologize in the post. If necessary, we'll move it to the appropriate place and, assuming we've had enough coffee to be alert, leave a pointer to the new position. 🙂

I wish I'd been enterprising enough as a small child to be interested in cooking. Actually, I did enjoy cake decorating but it took me years of adulthood to develop any other culinary interests. Do you remember what cooking book you got as your gift for passing your primary school tests?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Welcome. Am I correct in assuming that you are not from North America? Please tell us where you are from and something about your cuisine.

If you are curious about food and eager to learn new methods you have come to the right place. There are thousands of topics covered in the archives and I don't think that there are any cuisines or ingredients that aren't covered in one forum or another.

If you have any questions just ask. The collective knowledge of the members is astounding and you will get your answer within minutes.

I've been a member for 7 years and I've learned more in that 7 years than the 50 years before that I was cooking. And everyday I learn something new.

49 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Welcome to eGullet, @LD-NL! You'll find lots of friendly and helpful people here, and your story sounds like you'll fit right in. If you have questions about how the forums work, or where to post something, feel free to ask a host by PM (Personal Messenger). If you have doubts about where to post something, please don't ask or apologize in the post. If necessary, we'll move it to the appropriate place and, assuming we've had enough coffee to be alert, leave a pointer to the new position. 🙂

I wish I'd been enterprising enough as a small child to be interested in cooking. Actually, I did enjoy cake decorating but it took me years of adulthood to develop any other culinary interests. Do you remember what cooking book you got as your gift for passing your primary school tests?

Thanks!

Yes, the cakes: I loved baking them and then decorating!

And the cooking book; I certainly DO remember it. It was 'La Cuisine est un jeu d'enfants' from Michel Oliver.

And I used it very often to make dishes with my father 😊

10 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Welcome. Am I correct in assuming that you are not from North America? Please tell us where you are from and something about your cuisine.

If you are curious about food and eager to learn new methods you have come to the right place. There are thousands of topics covered in the archives and I don't think that there are any cuisines or ingredients that aren't covered in one forum or another.

If you have any questions just ask. The collective knowledge of the members is astounding and you will get your answer within minutes.

I've been a member for 7 years and I've learned more in that 7 years than the 50 years before that I was cooking. And everyday I learn something new.

Yes, I am from Europe (France and The Netherlands).

France: well, French cuisine ❤

Netherlands: no cuisine whatsoever 😂

Okay, okay, I should play nice. But.

Thanks for the tips! I already have one burning question and I will ask it soon 😊

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LD-NL said:

Netherlands: no cuisine whatsoever 😂

You might want to check out some of the posts and topics that were contributed by one of our members from Amsterdam, @Chufi. Some of the best recipes that I have found here were contributed by him. I make his butter beef at least once a month.

He makes Dutch cooking sound very good indeed.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

You might want to check out some of the posts and topics that were contributed by one of our members from Amsterdam, @Chufi. Some of the best recipes that I have found here were contributed by him. I make his butter beef at least once a month.

He makes Dutch cooking sound very good indeed.

The original, old, cuisine from the Netherlands doesn't really amount to much though.

The 'draadjesvlees' is nice! There are exceptions 😀

• Like 1