• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shel_B

Shel_B

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

In my opinion the problem is that it's turkey. Unless you simply love turkey unconditionally, but kudos for trying! OTOH turkey soup made from roast turkey parts is the bomb. But once you've made a rich stock all the turkey parts except the necks are inedible. I love the necks with a little broth and salt. Do you remember Brennan's in Berkeley? Fabulous drinks and really good turkey necks: big ones, one per serving. Very fun. So sad when they closed.

I visited Brennan's quite a few times. Loved the place and, like you, was saddened when they closed.  The last time I was there I had Irish coffees with my friend Jack ...

I'm starting to think it may be the turkey, too, but I want to play with this dish a bit more.  Maybe a braise isn't right for the thighs, but the braising medium and the apples are great ... maybe another way to use the recipe, such as making a marinade of the braising ingredients and then roasting the thighs?  I also thought about using chicken thighs, and was musing about duck thighs or breast but I've not looked into how well they'd do with apples ... I believe they'd be fine.

Shel_B

Shel_B

In my opinion the problem is that it's turkey. Unless you simply love turkey unconditionally, but kudos for trying! OTOH turkey soup made from roast turkey parts is the bomb. But once you've made a rich stock all the turkey parts except the necks are inedible. I love the necks with a little broth and salt. Do you remember Brennan's in Berkeley? Fabulous drinks and really good turkey necks: big ones, one per serving. Very fun. So sad when they closed.

I visited Brennan's quite a few times. Loved the place and, like you, was saddened when they closed.  The last time I was there I had Irish coffees with my friend Jack ...

I'm starting to think it may be the turkey, too, but I want to play with this dish a bit more.  Maybe a braise isn't right for the thighs, but the braising medium and the apples are great ... maybe another way to use the recipe, such as making a marinade of the braising ingredients and then roasting the thighs?  I also thought about using chicken thighs, and was musing about duck thighs but I've not looked into how well they'd do with apples ... I think they'd be OK.

Shel_B

Shel_B