• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paulraphael

paulraphael

On 5/27/2024 at 6:24 PM, severoon1 said:

The reason I ask is that I own a Breville Control Freak, and it's recommended to not use high power on layered pans that don't heat all the way through. Over time, this can cause the layers to separate because of the expansion of the different layers while heating (particularly relevant to enameled cast iron).

That's a little strange. It would pretty much limit you to cast iron or spun steel. People use clad pans all day long on restaurant induction ranges that are many times more powerful than a control freak. I suspect they just don't want you to get mad if you wreck a badly made consumer pan. 

" I've googled a bit and gotten conflicting answers. It seems that some non-ferrous materials do heat under induction, and some sources say graphite is one of those materials."

Possibly because induction can theoretically (depending on the oscillation frequency) heat anything that's conductive, including graphite. But no existing induction hob works at high enough frequencies to do this. They all only work on ferrous metals. I believe the problem with higher frequencies is that you'd have wildly different levels of efficiency (and heating ability) for different materials. Which would be confusing. And you might end up jamming all the radio waves for miles around. 

paulraphael

paulraphael

The reason I ask is that I own a Breville Control Freak, and it's recommended to not use high power on layered pans that don't heat all the way through. Over time, this can cause the layers to separate because of the expansion of the different layers while heating (particularly relevant to enameled cast iron).

That's a little strange. It would pretty much limit you to cast iron or spun steel. People use clad pans all day long on restaurant induction ranges that are many times more powerful than a control freak. I suspect they just don't want you to get mad if you wreck a badly made consumer pan. 

" I've googled a bit and gotten conflicting answers. It seems that some non-ferrous materials do heat under induction, and some sources say graphite is one of those materials."

Possibly because induction can theoretically (depending on the oscillation frequency) heat anything that's conductive, including graphite. But no existing induction hob works at high enough frequencies to do this. They all only work on ferrous metals. I believe the problem with higher frequencies is that you'd have wildly different levels of efficiency (and heating ability) for different materials. Which would be confusing. And you might end up jamming all the radio frequencies for miles around. 

paulraphael

paulraphael

That's a little strange. It would pretty much limit you to cast iron or spun steel. People use clad pans all day long on restaurant induction ranges that are an order of magnitude more powerful than a control freak. I suspect they just don't want you to get mad if you wreck an especially cheap consumer pan. 

Possibly because induction can theoretically (depending on the oscillation frequency) heat anything that's conductive, including graphite. But no existing induction hob works at high enough frequencies to do this. They all only work on ferrous metals. I believe the problem with higher frequencies is that you'd have wildly different levels of efficiency (and heating ability) for different materials. Which would be confusing. And you might end up jamming all the radio frequencies for miles around.