• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rukie

rukie

Hello, I've been doing a lot of research but cannot find a recipe that only uses ingredients similar to the store-bought below to make a white chocolate spread, I'm looking to store it at room temperature without it going off. I will put on toasted bread.

The main ingredients in the store-bought jar are sugar, canola oil, milk solids, cocoa butter, and emulsifiers and it doesn't need to be refrigerated. 

I thought it would be easy to make but boy I was wrong!! Maybe it's my ratios or my technique (I'm a total noob). I placed all the ingredients (melted cocoa butter) except for emulsifiers in a blender and blended it up although it doesn't emulsify together.. There is just a layer of the oil above the other powdered ingredients. Is it because I am missing the emulsifier liquid? I have never used it before.

1. Here's my recipe

sugar 40g

oil 30g

milk powder 20g

cacao butter 10g

My workaround to the recipe at the moment is to make a rich sugar syrup (2:1) first then add the rest of the ingredients on the stove and cook and mix till it's smooth. But not sure if this method will be shelf-safe cause of the added water. what do you guys think, will it be shelf stable? Does anyone have a recipe for white chocolate spread?

rich sugar syrup 40g

milk powder 20g

cacao butter 20g

oil 20g

Thank you!

rukie

rukie

Hello, I've been doing a lot of research but cannot find a recipe that only uses ingredients similar to the store-bought below to make a white chocolate spread, I'm looking to store it at room temperature without it going off.

The main ingredients in the store-bought jar are sugar, canola oil, milk solids, cocoa butter, and emulsifiers and it doesn't need to be refrigerated. 

I thought it would be easy to make but boy I was wrong!! Maybe it's my ratios or my technique (I'm a total noob). I placed all the ingredients (melted cocoa butter) except for emulsifiers in a blender and blended it up although it doesn't emulsify together.. There is just a layer of the oil above the other powdered ingredients. Is it because I am missing the emulsifier liquid? I have never used it before.

1. Here's my recipe

sugar 40g

oil 30g

milk powder 20g

cacao butter 10g

My workaround to the recipe at the moment is to make a rich sugar syrup (2:1) first then add the rest of the ingredients on the stove and cook and mix till it's smooth. But not sure if this method will be shelf-safe cause of the added water. what do you guys think, will it be shelf stable? Does anyone have a recipe for white chocolate spread?

rich sugar syrup 40g

milk powder 20g

cacao butter 20g

oil 20g

Thank you!