• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shel_B

Shel_B

55 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thanks, @Shel_B.  One of the stores that carries it is one I regularly shop at.  It's on my grocery list.  Hot hot is it?  I realize that is a somewhat objective question, but I thought  i'd ask anyway.  

I consider it to be fairly mild.  I just put a spoonful on some white rice, and the sweetness of the mango seems to offset the heat of the habanero resulting in a nicely balanced sauce with a noticeable, but very comfortable, heat level.  I compared it directly with Marie's original mild sauce, and the original seems hotter to me.  However, the original doesn't have the sweetness that this one does.  I think that you'll not find it at all objectionable, especially when put on food.  I poured  a bunch of it on my fried breakfast potatoes a few days ago and didn't even need anything to cool it down.  Go for it!

You know what's weird, the mango sauce seems to "cool down" the original mild sauce.  It's almost like a dessert hot sauce ... sheesh! I'm glad I did this tasting for you as it drove home what a nice sauce this is.  I'm going to order some more.

Shel_B

Shel_B

45 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thanks, @Shel_B.  One of the stores that carries it is one I regularly shop at.  It's on my grocery list.  Hot hot is it?  I realize that is a somewhat objective question, but I thought  i'd ask anyway.  

I consider it to be fairly mild.  I just put a spoonful on some white rice, and the sweetness of the mango seems to offset the heat of the habanero resulting in a nicely balanced sauce with a noticeable, but very comfortable, heat level.  I compared it directly with Marie's original mild sauce, and the original seems hotter to me.  However, the original doesn't have the sweetness that this one does.  I think that you'll not find it at all objectionable, especially when put on food.  I poured  a bunch of it on my fried breakfast potatoes a few days ago and didn't even need anything to cool it down.  Go for it!

You know what's weird, the mango sauce seems to "cool down" the original mild sauce