• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TdeV

TdeV

Clarity

8 hours ago, Laurentius said:

I have a DLC-7 Pro from that era that I also believe is of better quality than current production.  But I was happy to get the redesigned blade.

Frankly, I think it's pretty dumb to drop a chunk of hard cheese into the feed tube to grate, because it will batter against the plastic cover parts with great force.  When it finally gets thin enough, it slips between the disk and cover and wreaks havoc there.

Microplane!

I don't use the feed tube; I put the pieces in the workbowl. But as I said previously, it wears out the bowl, particularly now as the plastic in the workbowl is so inferior. It used to take me several years to wear out the bowl.

Glad you have hands which will support a microplane endeavour.

TdeV

TdeV

8 hours ago, Laurentius said:

I have a DLC-7 Pro from that era that I also believe is of better quality than current production.  But I was happy to get the redesigned blade.

Frankly, I think it's pretty dumb to drop a chunk of hard cheese into the feed tube to grate, because it will batter against the plastic cover parts with great force.  When it finally gets thin enough, it slips between the disk and cover and wreaks havoc there.

Microplane!

I don't use the feed tube; I put the pieces in the workbowl. But as I said previously, it wears out the bowl, particularly now as the plastic in the workbowl is so inferior.

Glad you have hands which will support a microplane endeavour.