• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Decompressing in Düsseldorf

I go to the big city Düsseldorf every few moths or so to replenish Japanese and Korean ingredients, to the market and  visit a local brewery restaurant each time. Before going I check the weekly menus on breweries' websites, the day special is the reason for my visit to a certain brewery when in town. This time I went to one of my firm favourites, Zum Schlüssel.

On to my second Altbier (middle).
pcdiwtjR_o.jpg

Day special was wonderfully crispy potato fritters (with smoked salmon).
KjB2Ib2b_o.jpg

From the menu of weekly specials: belly pork with Sauerkraut and mash.
E32WY9C7_o.jpg

I could stay here all day but I had to get things done after 5 beers.
9NB5EGcG_o.jpg

The amount stated is the amount you pay.
TO84mOYk_o.jpg

Unassuming on the outside, quite big and beautiful inside. Need to get there early to get your favourite table. Soon the regulars (mostly pensioners) and workers nearby will arrive and sit at their favourite tables.
7luOFLd1_o.jpg

My favourite table (and other introverts' also).
oaViohkx_o.jpg

The time is usually on the reservation card but as it was still early they put the cards there to keep you from occupying the tables. They were removed when more people arrived.
iidyZ4Ht_o.jpg

t1YIfCiw_o.jpg

jFsOXt9A_o.jpg

Today's special (potato fritters with smoked salmon and herbed cream)
mOM52Pyp_o.jpg

Schwemme is an area in the front or side part of a brewery restaurant where you have a quick beer or two and usually drink it standing. 
RBN2ZTRr_o.jpg

Other photos:

It's warm enough to have palm trees this far north.
9VTHAycd_o.jpg

Specific parking for this type of bikes.
fx5IHCva_o.jpg

I'm a sucker for some old things and tech. Line under Luxus reads "made in W(est) Germany".
SUwzhh3p_o.jpg

Locals and tourists alike enjoy going out to eat and drink. So many cafes and eating/drinking places in town.
jIBF8IRF_o.jpg

Like many big cities elsewhere, this one has its share of problems and challenges. Seems every time I'm in town I see more people in destitute situations.
3OC1y024_o.jpg

Cover
BR1y7HhP_o.jpg

I think every town in Germany has a Birkenstock shop.
7B00zRXB_o.jpg

Street musician
aMyeEZK0_o.jpg

Could be his next watch
7qk1DxzY_o.jpg

I always buy charcuterie from their trailer at the market. Only saw this today. Will check it out next time.
e8KkyfKO_o.jpg

Looks like a "vintage" photo but it's just a gloomy day.
bESE11Zp_o.jpg

New life for an old bike
jD9hjYQp_o.jpg

A shop that sells only Easter things.
UmxNE6rs_o.jpg

Easter is next week. Some people don't mind paying this price for an early treat. (Mid April is the official start of the season.)
tk36SpgJ_o.jpg

A wonderful potato stall at this market. There are a lot more on the other side. Potatoes from all over the place. I've bought new stuff to try a bunch of time.
1bGXyeOt_o.jpg

Like them both
eau8vs8n_o.jpg

Now at my favourite bakery.
sFMN52oP_o.jpg

Both types of shio koji
bZDESjDA_o.jpg

I buy miso from different Japanese/Korean shops.
pa9JqVDi_o.jpg

Dropped by Schumacher brewery for one last beer before heading back to the bus terminal.
oNFuTXTk_o.jpg

v6OdXtE7_o.jpg

OK. ONE drink...

ARPwf4a6_o.png

WwQPuSJO_o.jpg

Some of the things I bought. I like the seasoned seaweed left of the photo. Brought only 1 bag home from Amami, happy to find it at a Japanese shop here.
dysy4GLR_o.jpg

Maggi produces soy sauce in Vietnam. I've never seen it till now.
Fn3AQXO8_o.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6