• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Saltychoc

Saltychoc

updated information

@Jim D. Where did you buy the Opalys? My main supplier has pretty good prices but not always the best dates I want to look around some more before I stock up. I've emailed my Valrhona rep so will update with more info when he replies.

The response was not positive. A summary:

- price increases happening for all products at Valrhona and competitors

- narrowest increases for grand cru line

- cost of raw cacao at 40yr high "where it stops nobody knows" (47 years)

- has heard layoffs for some companies with large US presence

- they claim it is because of inflation

Another note - I've heard from someone in the agriculture non-profit sphere that frosty pod rot is increasingly worse and has reached the Caribbean and is a big threat to DR cacao production. Unpredictable supply from South/Central America and Caribbean plus wetter than normal weather in West Africa is fueling much of this. 11% reduced yield for 2023 vs 2022. And of course - the futures market is running wild.

Saltychoc

Saltychoc

@Jim D. Where did you buy the Opalys? My main supplier has pretty good prices but not always the best dates I want to look around some more before I stock up. I've emailed my Valrhona rep so will update with more info when he replies.