• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dongpo Latte

liuzhou

Thanks to social media, an ABC report from China is being circulated regarding a new menu item available in Starbucks Reserve outlets across the country.

This is called 'abundant year savory latte' and is coffee with braised Dongpo Pork flavoured sauce. The mix of espresso, steamed milk and sauce is garnished with pork belly and more Dongpo sauce. A mere 9.45元.

Disgusting idiots are no doubt lining up.

Screenshot_20240226_171421.thumb.jpg.bbb63b4bae94023c7e3688234b465d9a.jpg

https://www.internationalcuisine.com/china-dong-po-pork/

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Sad 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

17 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Thanks to social media, an ABC report from China is being circulated regarding a new menu item available in Starbucks Reseeve outlets across the country.

This is called 'abundant year savory latte' and is coffee with braised Dongpo Pork flavoured sauce. The mix of espresso, steamed milk and sauce is garnished with pork belly and more Dongpo sauce. A mere 9.45元.

Sounds quite good sans coffee.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mjx said:

It sounds revolting, but I wonder whether it's a real thing: something about the image looks subtly off. @liuzhou have you, or someone whose word you trust, actually seen this, in person, on a Starbuck's menu?

Yes. I've seen it advertised in the window of the local Starbuck's Reserve and I trust myself. It's been widely reported in the press, too.

Why would you be surprised that an advertising image doesn't look real? I'd be surprised if it did look real.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

21 hours ago, liuzhou said:

. . .

Why would you be surprised that an advertising image doesn't look real? I'd be surprised if it did look real.

It not that it doesn't look real (at least, it looks no more unreal/surreal than that sort of thing in general), it's just that something about the image it doesn't look like the Starbuck's imagery I've seen in the US and EU, so it it registers as 'off'.

Is there any sign of anyone trying actually trying this out of disinterested curiosity?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2024 at 2:46 PM, liuzhou said:

Thanks to social media, an ABC report from China is being circulated regarding a new menu item available in Starbucks Reseeve outlets across the country.

Ewww