• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

scott123

scott123

For a few years now, I've been working on my own nutella.  I start by roasting the hazelnuts a bit (Costco hazelnuts are supposed to be roasted, by they are very light) and then I toss them straight in my vintage cuisinart.  Every time I make them, I push the processing a little further- 3 minutes, 6 minutes, 12 minutes.

This last time I think I went to 15 minutes with two breaks, and, toward the 15 minute mark, the melted chocolate/hazelnut paste went from being a fairly loose liquid to like a balled bread dough consistency, with a heavy layer of grease covering the whole thing.

Anyone know what's going on here? The hazelnuts come out of the oven pretty hot, and the processing might add some heat (it's hard to tell).

scott123

scott123

For a few years now, I've been working on my own nutella.  I start by roasting the hazelnuts a bit (Costco hazelnuts are supposed to be roasted, by they are very light) and then I toss them straight in my vintage cuisinart.  Every time I make them, I push the processing a little further- 3 minutes, 6 minutes, 12 minutes.

This last time I think I went to 15 minutes with two breaks, and, toward the 15 minute mark, the melted chocolate/hazelnut paste when from being a fairly loose liquid to like a balled bread dough consistency, with a heavy layer of grease covering the whole thing.

Anyone know what's going on here? The hazelnuts come out of the oven pretty hot, and the processing might add some heat (it's hard to tell).