• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

Canarian bananas have PDO (Protected Designation of Origin) status in "Europe". They came to the archipelago from Equatorial Guinea via the Portuguese. Madeiran bananas are smaller and came from Macau, also brought by the Portuguese. Interestingly, Madeiran bananas are refused protected geographical indication by the EU due to the size. Madeirans think it's utterly ridiculous.
ekwA9OK.jpg

Canarian milk kefir and yoghurt. All the 3 fruits are grown on La Palma.
VI6ks3X.jpg

I also brought my Lebkuchen and chocolate from home. Hard to find 99% chocolate in many countries so I have to bring it myself.
YwNUu3x.jpg

First thing in the morning we check out the city's tiny market today. These dried peppers are used in Canarian mojo roja (red sauce). But these big ones are not hot.
RQRTxWI.jpg

At the next stall they have the real deal, for spicy "mojo picante". Palmerans are proud of their spicy sauce. Whilst these sauces are very Canarian (appear at every meal on all the islands), the Palmeran chillies are what make it a bit more special on La Palma.   
meMsm2e.jpg

However, the much smaller bag contains the spiciest chillies. The seller stresses "muy, muy picante!". I have to buy both. Can't be hotter than Mexican chillies.
1107FI4.jpg

As mention, the market is tiny, there's no mounds of fruits and vegetables to draw your attention.
L0jAevk.jpg

I find out it's a kind of gingerroot but very bitter and very medicinal.
BEKcvs1.jpg

I buy a small piece of this young goat's cheese for later.
SoRNNYI.jpg

Painted sign on footpath. Arms and legs are open wide.
w2eabo9.jpg

Next few photos are of typical streets in the capital Santa Cruz
t9LEvnY.jpg

La Palma is known for its pretty balconies (and many goat's cheeses, bananas, volcanoes, and more).
mng6fL3.jpg

Before I forget, apparently, I stress apparently, La Palma is the world's steepest island. Others say "steepest" is debatable. But for now it is the steepest, officially. Walking anywhere just here in town and you go up and down all the time, but mostly up and steep, indeed. Some streets are so steep I have to use force to grip the surface by pressing my feet down firmly. Wouldn't want to go out in the rain here.
J6VdlyG.jpg

Roofs with wild plants on them the houses are usually abandoned. Some are hard to tell if they are occupied or not, though. Like this one.
t4HroWg.jpg

Empty winter beach. It's a volcanic island. The sand is completely black everywhere. Hotter in the summer then?
9y7gfti.jpg

A small area for wheelchair users. I support changes to accommodate wheelchair users.
nUZxJvt.jpg

It's a city beach. The town is directly behind the beach, separated by the main avenue. I like the breaching whale.
vvSQ69L.jpg

I notice a fortress-like construction in my immediate neighbourhood. The barbed wire rig on the very high surrounding walls is quite serious. Then I look up at the windows and they remind me of prison windows anywhere. So we have to find out... this is the front of the building. It's a prison after all, and right in my neighbourhood.
H5pzXnB.jpg

i87lDS0.jpg

Pick up some food to eat back in the flat. Octopus salad in vinegar.
RWKzPhM.jpg

Jamon Iberico
NtxmbLo.jpg

giqfUwp.jpg

Young goat's cheese, mildly smoked. I should change the thread title to "queso de cabra" (minus "papas arrugadas"). La Palma has many types of goat's cheeses. I'm in goat's cheese paradise. (If @Smithyreads this, can you please change the thread title?)
mlUbgPt.jpg

La Palma has 2 craft breweries, this is one of them.
Af7SsBm.jpg

The other Palmeran brewery
RLInwcv.jpg

From Gran Canaria, widely available in the archipelago.
q21599V.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

Canarian bananas have PDO (Protected Designation of Origin) status in "Europe". They came to the archipelago from Equatorial Guinea via the Portuguese. Madeiran bananas are smaller and came from Macau, also brought by the Portuguese. Interestingly, Madeiran bananas are refused protected geographical indication by the EU due to the size. Madeirans think it's utterly ridiculous.
ekwA9OK.jpg

VI6ks3X.jpg

I also brought my Lebkuchen and chocolate from home. Hard to find 99% chocolate in many countries so I have to bring it myself.
YwNUu3x.jpg

First thing in the morning we check out the city's tiny market today. These dried peppers are used in Canarian mojo roja (red sauce). But these big ones are not hot.
RQRTxWI.jpg

At the next stall they have the real deal, for spicy "mojo picante". Palmerians are proud of their spicy sauce. Whilst these sauces are very Canarian (appear at every meal on all the islands), the Palmerian chillies are what make it a bit more special on La Palma.   
meMsm2e.jpg

However, the much smaller bag contains the spiciest chillies. The seller stresses "muy, muy picante!". I have to buy both. Can't be hotter than Mexican chillies.
1107FI4.jpg

As mention, the market is tiny, there's no mounds of fruits and vegetables to draw your attention.
L0jAevk.jpg

BEKcvs1.jpg

SoRNNYI.jpg

w2eabo9.jpg

t9LEvnY.jpg

La Palma is known for its pretty balconies (and many goat's cheeses, bananas, volcanoes, and more).
mng6fL3.jpg

Before I forget, apparently, I stress apparently, La Palma is the world's steepest island. Others say "steepest" is debatable. But for now it is the steepest, officially. Walking anywhere just here in town and you go up and down all the time, but mostly up and steep, indeed. Some streets are so steep I have to use force to grip the surface by pressing my feet down firmly. Wouldn't want to go out in the rain here.
J6VdlyG.jpg

Roofs with wild plants on them the houses are usually abandoned. Some are hard to tell if they are occupied or not, though. Like this one.
t4HroWg.jpg

Empty winter beach. It's a volcanic island. The sand is completely black everywhere. Hotter in the summer then?
9y7gfti.jpg

A small area for wheelchair users. I support changes to accommodate wheelchair users.
nUZxJvt.jpg

It's a city beach. The town is directly behind the beach, separated by the main avenue. I like the breaching whale.
vvSQ69L.jpg

I notice a fortress-like construction in my immediate neighbourhood. The barbed wire rig on the very high surrounding walls is quite serious. Then I look up at the windows and they remind me of prison windows anywhere. So we have to find out... this is the front of the building. It's a prison after all, and right in my neighbourhood.
H5pzXnB.jpg

i87lDS0.jpg

RWKzPhM.jpg

Jamon Iberico
NtxmbLo.jpg

giqfUwp.jpg

Young goat's cheese, mildly smoked. I should change the thread title to "queso de cabra" (minus "papas arrugadas"). La Palma has many types of goat's cheeses. I'm in goat's cheese paradise. (If @Smithyreads this, can you please change the thread title?)
mlUbgPt.jpg

Af7SsBm.jpg

The other Palmerian brewery
RLInwcv.jpg

q21599V.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

ekwA9OK.jpg

VI6ks3X.jpg

YwNUu3x.jpg

RQRTxWI.jpg

At the next stall they have the real deal, for spicy "mojo picante". Palmerians are proud of their spicy sauce. Whilst these sauces are very Canarian (appear at every meal on all the islands), the Palmerian chillies are what make it a bit more special on La Palma.   
meMsm2e.jpg

meMsm2e.jpg

L0jAevk.jpg

BEKcvs1.jpg

SoRNNYI.jpg

w2eabo9.jpg

t9LEvnY.jpg

mng6fL3.jpg

J6VdlyG.jpg

t4HroWg.jpg

9y7gfti.jpg

nUZxJvt.jpg

vvSQ69L.jpg

H5pzXnB.jpg

i87lDS0.jpg

RWKzPhM.jpg

Jamon Iberico
NtxmbLo.jpg

giqfUwp.jpg

mlUbgPt.jpg

Af7SsBm.jpg

The other Palmerian brewery
RLInwcv.jpg

q21599V.jpg