• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Laurentius

Laurentius

clarity and misspelling

13 hours ago, adrianvm said:

I was curious about whether the thick disk construction would result in a more even temperature across the pan surface compared to thinner clad and disk construction.

Yes, although I'd express it as: thick disk does a better job of mitigating the intrinsic unevenness of induction.

You can think of your hypothetical 3mm clad pan as being all disc.  For instance, a 28cm Demeyere Proline is formed from a flat disc that is about 34cm in diameter.  There's close to the same volume of aluminum in that pan as there is in the thicker but much smaller disc of say a Fissler OP or a Paderno GG.

A problem with these tests on empty pans is that comparisons require waiting for the pans to reach thermal equilibrium.  Virtually no cook waits that long to preheat.  If you peruse Centurylife.org, you can see that Franz's evenness rankings suffer from this, as well as setting an arbitrary time-to-temp criterion well short of equilibrium.  Basically, pans that heat up faster are awarded a low handicap.

And of course food has it's own conductivity and other thermal properties within a realistic system.

Laurentius

Laurentius

12 hours ago, adrianvm said:

I was curious about whether the thick disk construction would result in a more even temperature across the pan surface compared to thinner clad and disk construction.

Yes, although I'd express it as: thick disk does a better job of mitigating the intrinsic unevenness of induction.

You can think of your hypothetical 3mm clad pan as being all disc.  For instance, a 28cm Demeyere Proline is formed from a flat disc that is about 34cm in diameter.  There's close to the same volume of aluminum in that pan as there is in the thicker but much smaller disc of say a Fissler OP or a Paderno GG.

A problem with these tests on empty pans is that comparisons require waiting for the pans to reach thermal equilibrium.  Virtually no cook waits that long.  If you peruse Centurylife.org, you can see that Frank's evenness rankings suffer from this, as well as setting an arbitrary time-to-temp criterion well short of equilibrium.

And of course food has it's own conductivity and other thermal properties within a realistic system.