• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

I'll second what @KennethT said. There was a local Chinese takeout spot that usually had the fried ones as an option. Really enjoyd crunching the whole shrimp- most eaten on the drive home. Otherwise low simmer in flavorful liquid or stir--fried as he noted.  I've purchased live Santa Barbara spot prawns at Morro Bay fish market (out of tank). I just let them have a short swim in flavorful stock. Again as Kenneth noted - similar to crawdads but more delicate flesh.   As with shrimp generally - don't overcook. 

ETA: the frozen blocks from what I no longer buy (sustaonabiity/labor issues) I think are frozen on board. I'd as the supplier for more info. 

heidih

heidih

I'll second what @KennethT said. There was a local Chinese takeout spot that usually had the fried ones as an option. Really enjoyd crunching the whole shrimp- most eaten on the drive home. Otherwise low simmer in flavorful liquid or stir--fried as he noted.  I've purchased live Santa Barbara spot prawns at Morro Bay fish market (out of tank). I just let them have a short swim in flavorful stock. Again as Kenneth noted - similar to crawdads but more delicate flesh.   As with shrimp generally - don't overcook.