• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

Visited a weekly organic market to have a look. There are about a dozen stalls selling breads, fruits, vegs, dairy, snacks etc. Also plants. Prices are as high as at home,  but quality is higher and there are some interesting things we don't have (at home). I bought lots of fruits but the most anticipated were these lovely and delicious blue honeysuckle berries.
1FLADzW.jpg

Strawberries are piled high everywhere at the moment. Also got concentrated blueberry juice. Every morning I eat a little mount of fresh fruits.
K9xzs5b.jpg

Took a short bus ride to a "gourmet market" outside the centre. They say that all this "gourmet" food and craft beer scene was unthinkable 10 years ago. Then ideas from abroad and money arrived.
8oSqOs4.jpg

Nothing is cheap here, for Lithuanian standards. Lots of imported high-end foodstuffs, as well as domestic products..
wsvKcb0.jpg

JVltXEq.jpg

I like smoked pig's ears. Smoked snouts on right.
8fRtzVJ.jpg

kfb5VUl.jpg

5lqsK9S.jpg

iJWwiP5.jpg

OQpF5iE.jpg

6rHwMWf.jpg

Snack bar makes pie from scratch
JXSgP9M.jpg

Took the photo on the way out. It's a new building.
QwYByal.jpg

Lunch at the oldest brewery again. They have a special day menu on this day. Many locals come to eat the special dishes of the day, but most popular are the zeppelins (potato dumplings).

Small knuckle with horseradish cream sauce, and Sauerkraut.
RL62Pxv.jpg

Got 2 dumplings. The shape indicates which filling it contains.
zFx6vop.jpg

Left is pork mince, right is cottage cheese. Some fried Speck and lard and a big dollop of (soured) cream. Lithuanians eat a lot of cream. Apparently, it's soured cream but I don't taste it. To me it's mild, full fat thick cream. Very nice!
5NTfrbS.jpg

There's a good craft beer bottle shop inside the gourmet market. They have 6 taps for drinking standing or sitting down upstairs in the "food court". I tried the IPA. but bought 2 cold bottles to drink upstairs.
hNVXqJb.jpg

A small space with shelves of some international and domestic craft beers, plus 4 fridges of more beer.
VydMXqJ.jpg

Young and knowledegable staff told me this brewery is highly regarded at the moment. I got a NEIPA and hazy pale ale.
TwSYiRW.jpg

MggDYa2.jpg

Crisps in the flavour of Lithuania's most popular soup (cold beetroot with kefir)
bh98QAd.jpg

Didn't get this one
i4ZRHSj.jpg

Found these in the supermarket. Of course they make one with potato dumpling flavour for this country.
FYQ8eFJ.jpg

wtl9SRl.jpg

Other photos:

I see delivery men riding this thing a hundred times a day. Delivery of food is so popular here. Don't people cook any more?
5iw2nKq.jpg

As far as I know, only one country has banned the E-step bikes.
iorXSSv.jpg

Many buildings have inner courtyards, you see it after passing under a(n arched) entrance or doorway like this.
h3Mncln.jpg

FBOrNry.jpg

There's a bunch of "Italian" restaurants in town, some of them claim theirs are "true".
Pn0awZ3.jpg

Timeless classy
ff6Hnvd.jpg

I see crumbling buildings like this every day. Shame that nothing is being done about it.
9tTYfuN.jpg

He took a photo of them, she decided which filter to apply.
PpNrjyw.jpg

Nice craft beer bar
8g07TNm.jpg

GOq82xh.jpg

cQ5kYDw.jpg

"Pink soup fest" is going on this week. A pamphlet lists restaurants serving the cold beetroot soup.
D4JHM8x.jpg

US6bXTQ.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

Visited a weekly organic market to have a look. There are about a dozen stalls selling breads, fruits, vegs, dairy, snacks etc. Also plants. Prices are as high as at home,  but quality is higher and there are some interesting things we don't have (at home). I bought lots of fruits but the most anticipated were these lovely and delicious blue honeysuckle berries.
1FLADzW.jpg

Strawberries are piled high everywhere at the moment. Also got concentrated blueberry juice. Every morning I eat a little mount of fresh fruits.
K9xzs5b.jpg

Took a short bus ride to a "gourmet market" outside the centre. They say that all this "gourmet" food and craft beer scene was unthinkable 10 years ago. Then ideas from abroad and money arrived.
8oSqOs4.jpg

Nothing is cheap here, for Lithuanian standards. Lots of imported high-end foodstuffs, as well as domestic products..
wsvKcb0.jpg

JVltXEq.jpg

I like smoked pig's ears. Smoked snouts on right.
8fRtzVJ.jpg

kfb5VUl.jpg

5lqsK9S.jpg

iJWwiP5.jpg

OQpF5iE.jpg

6rHwMWf.jpg

Snack bar makes pie from scratch
JXSgP9M.jpg

Took the photo on the way out. It's a new building.
QwYByal.jpg

Lunch at the oldest brewery again. They have a special day menu on this day. Many locals come to eat the special dishes of the day, but most popular are the zeppelins (potato dumplings).

Small knuckle with horseradish cream sauce, and Sauerkraut.
RL62Pxv.jpg

Got 2 dumplings. The shape indicates which filling it contains.
zFx6vop.jpg

Left is pork mince, right is cottage cheese. Some fried Speck and lard and a big dollop of (soured) cream. Lithuanians eat a lot of cream. Apparently, it's soured cream but I don't taste it. To me it's mild, full fat thick cream. Very nice!
5NTfrbS.jpg

There's a good craft beer bottle shop inside the gourmet market. They have 6 taps for drinking standing or sitting down upstairs in the "food court". I tried the IPA. but bought 2 cold bottles to drink upstairs.
VydMXqJ.jpg

A small space with shelves of some international and domestic craft beers, plus 4 fridges of more beer.
VydMXqJ.jpg

Young and knowledegable staff told me this brewery is highly regarded at the moment. I got a NEIPA and hazy pale ale.
TwSYiRW.jpg

MggDYa2.jpg

Crisps in the flavour of Lithuania's most popular soup (cold beetroot with kefir)
bh98QAd.jpg

Didn't get this one
i4ZRHSj.jpg

Found these in the supermarket. Of course they make one with potato dumpling flavour for this country.
FYQ8eFJ.jpg

wtl9SRl.jpg

Other photos:

I see delivery men riding this thing a hundred times a day. Delivery of food is so popular here. Don't people cook any more?
5iw2nKq.jpg

As far as I know, only one country has banned the E-step bikes.
iorXSSv.jpg

Many buildings have inner courtyards, you see it after passing under a(n arched) entrance or doorway like this.
h3Mncln.jpg

FBOrNry.jpg

There's a bunch of "Italian" restaurants in town, some of them claim theirs are "true".
Pn0awZ3.jpg

Timeless classy
ff6Hnvd.jpg

I see crumbling buildings like this every day. Shame that nothing is being done about it.
9tTYfuN.jpg

He took a photo of them, she decided which filter to apply.
PpNrjyw.jpg

Nice craft beer bar
8g07TNm.jpg

GOq82xh.jpg

cQ5kYDw.jpg

"Pink soup fest" is going on this week. A pamphlet lists restaurants serving the cold beetroot soup.
D4JHM8x.jpg

US6bXTQ.jpg