• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jim D.

Jim D.

41 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

I get down your way from time to time, so I would be interested to hear your adventurous recommendation!

It is The Shack (it used to look more like its namesake, but they have gussied it up a bit with their ever-increasing fame--the restaurant was reviewed in the Washington Post, which stirred up D.C. visitors).  Here's one course from the current menu:  yellow tail – grapefruit – rhubarb – camomile.  And another:  rabbit – morels – ramps – peas.  My chocolates almost made it into the adjoining Staunton Grocery, but there was an issue with having chocolates and pickled vegetable in the same refrigerator!

I should add that sometimes the restaurant is a bit too adventurous for me!

Jim D.

Jim D.

16 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

I get down your way from time to time, so I would be interested to hear your adventurous recommendation!

It is The Shack (it used to look more like its namesake, but they have gussied it up a bit with their ever-increasing fame--the restaurant was reviewed in the Washington Post, which stirred up D.C. visitors).  Here's one course from the current menu:  yellow tail – grapefruit – rhubarb – camomile.  And another:  rabbit – morels – ramps – peas.  My chocolates almost made it into the adjoining Staunton Grocery, but there was an issue with having chocolates and pickled vegetable in the same refrigerator!