• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

16 minutes ago, jedovaty said:

I found some jioaxing wine, I can't transcribe the brand here (can send photo later), it doesn't taste anything like the sherry recommended on the web, instead simply very salty sake that has salt in it with more salt and an extra pinch or two of salt for good measure.

I'm not sure what 'Jiaoxing wine' is although I have been to Jiaoxing. Did you mean Shaoxing?

These wines are only salted in the USA and Canada because of the local alcohol licencing laws. Salting it renders them undrinkable and allows them to be sold in stores without liquor licences. They are not salted in China!

Lee Kum Kee is not what I would consider a 'premium' brand. It is the Chinese equivalent of Heinz.

All MSG is the same.

liuzhou

liuzhou

14 minutes ago, jedovaty said:

I found some jioaxing wine, I can't transcribe the brand here (can send photo later), it doesn't taste anything like the sherry recommended on the web, instead simply very salty sake that has salt in it with more salt and an extra pinch or two of salt for good measure.

I'm not sure what 'Jiaoxing wine' is although I have been to Jiaoxing. Did you mean Shaoxing?

These wines are only salted in the USA and Canada because of the local alcohol licencing laws. Salting it renders them undrinkable and allows them to be sold in stores without liquor licences. They are not salted in China!

Lee Kum Kee is not what I would consider a 'premium' brand. It is the Chinese equivalent of Heinz.

liuzhou

liuzhou

8 minutes ago, jedovaty said: