• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jedovaty

jedovaty

correct name of shaoxing

Hi:

For those of you in the US/Canada, would you be able to recommend a few "good" and "premium" brands for Asian condiments?  Ideally with minimal preservatives where possible.  Normally I like to buy a bunch of products I'm interested in and do my own taste tests then find the best tasting vs best compromise of ingredients vs price, but this is way out of my arena.  Things like dark and light soy sauce, sesame oil, goguchan, kombu, bonito, fermented beans, pickles, miso, rice wine, etc?  I visited both mitsuwa marketplace and 99 ranch recently and was completely overwhelmed. 

Here's what I have:

- San-J organic tamari

- eden organic sesame oil

- red boat fish sauce

- megachef and lee-kum-kee premium oyster sauces

- ajin moto msg

- takara senryo mirin (only mirin I found with no "fake" ingredients)

- Baoning Handcrafted Black Vinegar

- currently out of sake, I typically get the $15 one in the pretty frosted blue bottle

I found some shaoxing wine, I can't transcribe the brand here (can send photo later), it doesn't taste anything like the sherry recommended on the web, instead simply very salty sake that has salt in it with more salt and an extra pinch or two of salt for good measure.

What am I missing?  I was inspired by watching the pantry videos by influencers on youtube, but some are out of the country with products not necessarily available here, and if I can find the brands they like and use, it seems they are full of "junk" ingredients and plastered in california prop 65 warnings hahahaha.*  I'm okay with buying these if there are no alternatives.

I'm also totally open to the "what you have is good enough for most dishes" if that's the case :)

Thanks for your time!

*please let's not turn this into a prop 65 or it's okay to eat junk ingredients debate and/or lecture of what it is for or how stupid/great it is, I'm simply trying to figure out premium foreign ingredients

jedovaty

jedovaty

Hi:

For those of you in the US/Canada, would you be able to recommend a few "good" and "premium" brands for Asian condiments?  Ideally with minimal preservatives where possible.  Normally I like to buy a bunch of products I'm interested in and do my own taste tests then find the best tasting vs best compromise of ingredients vs price, but this is way out of my arena.  Things like dark and light soy sauce, sesame oil, goguchan, kombu, bonito, fermented beans, pickles, miso, rice wine, etc?  I visited both mitsuwa marketplace and 99 ranch recently and was completely overwhelmed. 

Here's what I have:

- San-J organic tamari

- eden organic sesame oil

- red boat fish sauce

- megachef and lee-kum-kee premium oyster sauces

- ajin moto msg

- takara senryo mirin (only mirin I found with no "fake" ingredients)

- Baoning Handcrafted Black Vinegar

- currently out of sake, I typically get the $15 one in the pretty frosted blue bottle

I found some jioaxing wine, I can't transcribe the brand here (can send photo later), it doesn't taste anything like the sherry recommended on the web, instead simply very salty sake that has salt in it with more salt and an extra pinch or two of salt for good measure.

What am I missing?  I was inspired by watching the pantry videos by influencers on youtube, but some are out of the country with products not necessarily available here, and if I can find the brands they like and use, it seems they are full of "junk" ingredients and plastered in california prop 65 warnings hahahaha.*  I'm okay with buying these if there are no alternatives.

I'm also totally open to the "what you have is good enough for most dishes" if that's the case :)

Thanks for your time!

*please let's not turn this into a prop 65 or it's okay to eat junk ingredients debate and/or lecture of what it is for or how stupid/great it is, I'm simply trying to figure out premium foreign ingredients