• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

typo

11 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I read and accept your aversion to rolled oats, but I wonder what your well-meaning mom tried to sell you.   I can't abide sweet cereals or gummy "quick oats".   Nor have I tolerance for breakfasts that take more than 10 minutes.

My solution: Old fashioned rolled oats, covered with water, microwaved for 5 to ? minutes, depending on the power of your nuker, splashed with heavy cream and good sprinkle of kosher or Maldon salt.   

A cousin to grits or savory porridge.  

I have never liked oatmeal because of the texture. My sister kept telling me to try overnight oat because it wasn't so slimy. I tried and it still didn't suit me. After losing my gall bladder recently, I read that oatmeal was a highly recommended food choice. I decided to try it again. I now put the oats in the dish, and just enough unsweetened almond milk to cover, let stand for an hour or so (or if I forget, I will nuke it for about 20-25 seconds, just until the milk is mostly absorbed. Then I stir in whatever I want--sometimes nuts, sometimes a little yogurt, sometimes honey, sometimes fruit. It has a little more chew to it this way and isn't slimy at all.

Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

11 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I read and accept your aversion to rolled oats, but I wonder what your well-meaning mom tried to sell you.   I can't abide sweet cereals or gummy "quick oats".   Nor have I tolerance for breakfasts that take more than 10 minutes.

My solution: Old fashioned rolled oats, covered with water, microwaved for 5 to ? minutes, depending on the power of your nuker, splashed with heavy cream and good sprinkle of kosher or Maldon salt.   

A cousin to grits or savory porridge.  

I have never liked oatmeal because of the texture. My sister kept telling me to try overnight oat because it wasn't so slimy. I tried and it still didn't suit me. After losing my gall bladder recently, I read that oatmeal was a highly recommended food choice. I decided to try it again. I now put the oats in the dish, ass just enough unsweetened almond milk to cover, let stand for an hour or so (or if I forget, I will nuke it for about 20-25 seconds, just until the milk is mostly absorbed. Then I stir in whatever I want--sometimes nuts, sometimes a little yogurt, sometimes honey, sometimes fruit. It has a little more chew to it this way and isn't slimy at all.